Powerbook G4

Reaction score
:[ I am so new I failed to correctly identify my MAC. It is a Powerbook G4, not a macbook as I incorrectly asserted earlier.

Which Hard drives can be used on this MAC? Are they SATA I or II?

Is 500GB the largest that can be used? Is it a 2.5 or 3.5 HD?

Does the Powerbook predate or postdate the Macbook?

I was able to locate the battery, the Airport Extreme and the memory, but I find no opening for the disk drive. How do I get at it?

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Triker

If its a G4 PowerBook it will only take IDE .. no SATA support .. at least up
to the 1.33GHz range .. have not played with the 1.5ghz.. models..

2.5 and the speed of the drive should be no more than 5400rpm..

I cant be sure but last time I looked they only go up to 250GB you may be
able to find a 320 but not sure ... the drives in the PowerBook require you to
either take the bottom cover off .. or the top keyboard and trackpad off ..

that is depending on the model .. if you can tell us the speed we can refer
you to the correct page on ifixit.com

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes IDE it is. Triker it is easier if you list your machine specs in your profile as this enables much better assistance to be given. If it is a late model G4 Powerbook then this drive may well be the go:-

320.0GB Western Digital "Scorpio" 5400RPM 9... (WD3200BEVE) at OWC

It is 320GB, about the largest you can go if the machine is a 1GHz processor or faster.

OP
T
Reaction score
Powerbook G4 Help Please

Thanks for all the help.

It is a 1.5 GHz Powerbook G4. Has the 80 GB drive currently and 2 GB Ram. I've decided this is not the mac for me. My music and pictures total just under 300 GB, so I need a minimum of 500GB and preferably more than that. So, I'll begin searching for a 15" mac laptop of some model. I don't even know what's available. I need something that will let me do email, music and pictures while travelling by motorcycle (not simultaneously obviously).

I hate iTunes since it really doesn't play MP3s, it converts them to AAC? and stores both on your hard disk, doubling the space required. I want an MP3 player/organizer. iLife 09 will be sufficient for pictures and the features in garage band for music editing.

Anything out there with above a 2.GHz processor and 500 GB HD under $900?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Thanks for all the help.
I hate iTunes since it really doesn't play MP3s, it converts them to AAC? and stores both on your hard disk, doubling the space required. I want an MP3 player/organizer. iLife 09 will be sufficient for pictures and the features in garage band for music editing.

iTunes does fine with MP3s, most of my music is in that format. To make sure iTunes adds all new music as MP3, you simply set the import format in iTunes's preferences

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.