Macbook Aluminum Screen

Reaction score
Is it true that you don't have to worry about scratching the Macbook Aluminum screen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aluminum screen? You mean aluminum body and glass screen? The new unibody MacBook made from aluminum is easily scratched or dented since the metal itself is soft by nature. Care should be taken when handling or moving it over rough or uneven surfaces. Probably best to use a sleeve or case for the machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
A glass screen can be scratched, just like anything else made of glass. I would think its more durable than a plastic screen like most other mobile screens. I use a soft microfiber cloth on mine that has been pre-moistened with either water or Windex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes glass can be scratched, but it is much more difficult to do so than a plastic screen. You would effectively need another piece of glass or something harder (like a diamond) in order to do so. With plastic screens a slightly rough piece of dust could scratch the screen, or even your fingernail if you dug it in with enough force, something you couldn't do on a glass screen.

Reaction score
Yeah the glass screen is pretty durable by iteself to speak but use common sense when cleaning and caring for it of course. i bought the zagg (invisible shield) for my new macbook to keep it all looking sharp and when not in use its in its neoprene case.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah of course I meant the Macbook with the aluminum body and glass screen. Should I take the battery out when I clean the glass screen? Also how do I make it so you can't see left over water droplets?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are using WAY too much water if that's even a concern. Take a microfiber cloth and wipe down the screen to get rid of dust particles. Then dampen part of it very slightly to get out the smudges. Then use the dry part of the cloth to wipe it down. There shouldn't be huge water droplets to even worry about, and there's no need to take the battery out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
You can't take the battery out on the new aluminum macbook pro line and I'm not sure why you would think you need to take the battery out to clean the screen. I would use a soft microfiber cloth made for cleaning glass. You won't get water droplets if you pre-moisten the cloth first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
What a waste of a thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a waste of a thread

What a waste of a post

The OP has a genuine concern, a concern that is shared by many people. Just because YOU think it's a silly question doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
...I'm not sure why you would think you need to take the battery out to clean the screen.
Because, despite the fact that you may have a non-removable battery, Apple still recommends removing the battery - MBP and MB cleaning instructions. So, if you have a removable battery, I would do as Apple recommends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
Why would they recommend the battery be removed? Is is due to shock?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.