Adding harddrive space to macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
Hi,

I have a 250gb macbook and I really want more space on it. I have like 20 gb left after deleteing a lot of things? My 320 gb external HD is full
Is it very expensive to have apple do it?
is it worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
You can buy a larger internal hard drive up to 500 gigs from newegg.com or owc.com, I prefer newegg though. Then to install it on a black macbook is pretty straight forward, Installing MacBook Core 2 Duo Hard Drive Replacement. Unless you are completely afraid of opening up your computer replacing the hard drive is really easy, and I am not sure apple even has an upgrade program like this they expect you to get it as a build to order option the first time around. I would say upgrading the internal drive is worth it, I am going to get a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive once WD releases one.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's very easy to replace a hard drive on a MacBook. It took me all of 15 minutes to do the swap. Yes, I'm an experienced electronic and computer tech but I assure you anyone - if they can follow instructions, can replace the hard drive on a MacBook.

OWC has a nice video DIY on how to change the hard drive and Apple also has instructions. You do not need to pay an Apple technician to do the job when you can do it yourself.

Macinstruct tutorial = Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Do it yourself - very easy.

If you live in the UK you can pickup a 500gb drive for about £60, even cheaper in the US.

Install superduper
Plug your new drive into an external enclosure via usb cable.
Run superduper and backup your existing HD onto the new.
Install the new drive (see my guide in MacBook section)
Turn it on!

Good luck

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
thanks for your responses guys
but I was wondering if I buy a harddrive that is 500gb will my applecare be cancelled? Is there some sort of rule?
that's why i wanted to have apple do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Your warranty will be intact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.