Google Calendar [Calaboration] & iCal Syncing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I'm trying to get iCal to sync with my Google Calendar. I've downloaded and setup up with Google's Calaboration tool but whatever I input into iCal just won't sync with/to Google Calendar. It works fine when I add events to Google Calendar first....that updates iCal just fine. It just won't go the other way.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Calaboration, AFAIK, only works the one way. Once you have synced your Google Calendars with iCal though, any changes made will sync both ways. So, as long as you get your calendars up to GCal, you can sync it with iCal using Calaboration and be good to go.

You could also look into Spanning Sync.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I actually figured it out. iCal keeps its calendar inputs separate from the synced google calendar.

If you want an event to appear in both iCal and Google, you need to click on the the google account on the left-hand side first, then input your event. This will tell iCal you want the event connected (synced) to both calendars.

Conversely, if you input something into google calendar, it will always show up in iCal also (hence the appearance of a one-way sync).

If you already have an event in your iCal-only calendar, you can drag-and-drop the event onto the Google account listed on the left and it'll sync to both calendars.

This works out well for me since the iCal calendar is my wife's and the google calendar we share. She keeps her personal stuff on the default iCal and our family events are shared to the google calendar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.