iPhoto - Questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
OK, I have nearly got my head around the whole SQL database utilization for iPhoto.

Now - I need to know about the database - originals vs modified

Does iPhoto automatically duplicate photos that have been imported?

I can see 2 folders:-

Originals
Modified

Both have copies of the same file structure and photos. [same number of folders and photos].

The only difference is that if a photo has been edited, the edited photo is displayed in the 'modified' folder file structure.

If so, I think that is a complete waste of HD space. I wouldnt mind it duplicating photos and folders if I edited a specific one - but to duplicate every photo on import is a waste of space and money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You really shouldn't be poking around the iPhoto database. You could mess up your library if you move or modify any of the files. iPhoto is meant to be used via the application only, no need to poke around the internals.

However, if you don't like the way iPhoto organizes photos, then perhaps you might want to look into a program that's more in tune with how you'd like the files to be organized. Based on your preferences, I would suggest Google's Picasa.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I am not modifying anything within the strucure. I was just interested in how it works.

The only thing I do is export selected events, run a script to rename the photos, create event folders, then sort photos into folders. This is for backup prosesses only.

Back to the point. I like using iPhoto, even the simple editing brings my photos alive within seconds. I just question the way it does it. Due to space limitations on a laptop (500gb) doubling the photo database doesn't seem efficient enough just on the offchance that I may need to edit them.

I suppose one way of getting around this is to install a NAT and install the iPhoto database on that instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Oh I apologize. Most people who come here asking about the iPhoto directory usually do so with the intent of mucking about with it. I misunderstood your intent.

I'd love to offer some information about how the directory works, but I very much leave it alone. Perhaps someone else who is more attuned to iPhoto's inner workings could provide some insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
The originals are kept so that the user can go back to the original at any time and start their modifications over again. The modified folder is only the photos that have been modified in some way, edited, rotated, etc. It would seem in your case that you have done "something", however small, to modify the photo, causing it to show up in the "modified" folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook `08 4gb ram, 750gb, 2GHz intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.9 - Ipad4 - Iphone5 - AppleTV3 -
How can i erase pictures ?
i try to erase events , and i coudn´t !
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Highlight the photos, select Photos from the Menu line then Move to Trash.

At sometime in the future select iPhoto and Empty Trash.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I have a question similar to this subject. I just got my first MacBook and am in the process of transfering over 30gb of photos from my pc to the mac. When I import them into iPhoto is it going to duplicate all of them? I found the option in the settings to not copy them to the database. Will this just leave them in their orignal location where I transferred them to?
Sorry if this is a simple question but I want to make sure I don't take up over 60gb of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.