Wireless range on my Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops, a Mac Book Pro and a top spec Sony Vaio. I am sharing an internet connection with my neighbour who has the router in his apartment. The thing is that the Mac which is my preferred computer has a much weaker wireless signal than the PC. Does anyone know a way of boosting the signal on the receiver end for the Mac Book Pro?

Thanks in advance.

James

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MBP because of its metal casing sometimes does not do as well with a weaker signal than a comparable poly plastic MacBook or a PC.

Several things you can try:

1. Move closer to the signal or try re-orienting the MBP for maximum signal.

2. Add on card with antenna. Note - this works but can be expensive since the high gain antenna cards tend to be a bit pricey. Here's a link that you can go to and decide if that's for you. By the way, the Radio Labs line of wireless cards are high quality and do work quite well.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 MBP (mid 2009), 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD. 24" Cinema Display. 32GB iphone 3gs, 32GB iPad
You could also try extending out the wireless network. Adding an Airport Express or another repeater should do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.