New Video Card for G4 MDD MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 867Mhz G4 MDD, 2GB Ram; OS X 10.5.8
A naive question here but I don't want to waste money!

What differences can I expect by going from the original GeForce4 MX 32Mb video card on my G4 MDD Mac to an ATI 9800 Pro with 128 Mb? I have already maxed out the memory and added a new bigger and faster HD.

I don't play a lot of games but I do watch video online (BBC iPlayer, etc) and new web-sites with embedded video are slow to load - will this help?

All contributions much appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums Bedlam Boy.

If you are running Leopard or Tiger, your avatar does not say, you will notice a big difference in loading speed, Quartz and Core capability as well as the card being 4X the memory.

I take it the 9800 is actually the Mac Pro Edition? There are a lot of flashed PC cards available through online markets. Personally avoid flashed cards and have always purchased Mac Edition and never lost a card.

Fan units on the 9800, both PC and Mac, do fail frequently. Do a Google search on failed 9800 fan units.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 867Mhz G4 MDD, 2GB Ram; OS X 10.5.8
Thanks for the welcome and the information, Harry.

Added my Mac specs! Unfortunately it is a flashed card - difficult to find something cheaper (it would almost be more sensible to buy a Mac Mini than a full price Mac Pro card!). I have already planned to upgrade the fan.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the welcome and the information, Harry.

Added my Mac specs! Unfortunately it is a flashed card - difficult to find something cheaper (it would almost be more sensible to buy a Mac Mini than a full price Mac Pro card!). I have already planned to upgrade the fan.

I have a "flashed" 9800. I haven't had any problems so far...but since it's "flashed"...I could see how it could go "belly-up" at any time...or have some software (games) compatibility issues.

Being a longtime "Mac-guy"...I certainly would prefer to purchase the Mac edition of the 9800...but like you mentioned, there is a BIG price difference between the Mac 9800 & a flashed 9800.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We are all in that boat Bedlam, financial constraints lol!

Buy from a reputable dealer and good luck with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.