Contecting my Iphone 3Gs to my car

Reaction score
I just recently purchased the new iPhone 3Gs. I am looking to using it in my car so I can listen to my mp3s. I've heard that the FM transmitter sound quality is not the best. What are your opinions on a FM transmitter adapter? I do not have an AUX connection.

Here is the accessorie I was planning on buying, please let me know if this is a good brand to go with. Thank you!

Universal All Channel 5-in-1 FM Transmitter for iPod / iPhone / iPhone 3GS / MP3 players, Black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
If you have a cassette tape slot in your car, look at the product Monster and Belkin make. You plug a cable into the iPhone's audio jack and put the connected cassette tape into the player. The sound quality is great - I've had the Belkin one for quite a while.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are the FM transmitter that bad? I like this one because it has a mount for my iphone and it charges at the same time. But if cassette tape is that much better I will get that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
FM transmitters are really hit or miss depending on the brand of transmitter, the make/model of your car, the location of your antenna, and the area you are using it.

Things that will certainly hurt performance:
1) Lot's of radio stations in the area; Big cities have very little free space on the dial.
2) Distant, or window mounted antennas; If the antenna in your car is in the rear or is window mounted wire antenna, performance will also be poor.

As an alternative to a standard FM transmitter, look into getting a hard-wired in-line model. These devices may need professional instillation, but since they essentially turn off your car's antenna when they turn on, they provide a much cleaner signal to your car's radio and are a good way to go if an after-market radio with a line-in or iPod jack are out of the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
This response won't be very helpful for recommending a particular brand of FM transmitter, because I couldn't tell you the name of mine - it isn't branded and I've long since thrown out the packaging, but I bought one from eBay for £7-odd including delivery and I have never had a problem with it. Sometimes the sound quality during calls over the car speakers isn't great but my music always plays at CD quality. So I wouldn't recommend necessarily splashing out on a very expensive model of transmitter - my cheap one does the job very nicely indeed!

OP
S
Reaction score
Cool I placed an order for that FM car accessorie.

I live in NYC and I hope it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Make sure you check to see if your car stereo has some sort of open port on the back. Mine doesn't have an aux r/c jack on the front, but it does have an open port on the back for accessories like satellite radio. I found a company that made an adapter I could plug into that port so I have a direct connection between my iPhone and my radio plus I can control my music through my stereo/steering wheel controls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Do you folks from America have cigarette lighter sockets that these transmitters plug into? That's how mine is connected.

My work finally got wifi! It's so good to be able to access the web while I'm on my break. Just in time for my 3GS arriving though, haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.