Windows 7 Pre-Order?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
Today I did the pre-order from Microsoft for Windows 7 Professional (upgrade) for approximately $100. Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade (special pricing ends July 11, 2009) is $49. After I placed the order, I realized that Windows 7 Pro Upgrade would probably not work with Boot Camp. The full version of Windows 7 Pro is $300. There is also a digital download for Windows 7 and the DVD is about $10 more. This is a limited time offer or while supplies last for this special. I have not canceled my order, but would like to hear from others.

Windows 7 Pricing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By all indications, the upgrade version of Win 7 should work with Boot Camp provided you already have a copy of either XP or Vista installed. Just pop in the Win 7 DVD and execute the install from within Windows.

For a completely new installation (no previous XP or Vista present) you will need a full install version which at present for Home Premium is $199.00 (pre-order).

Regards.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag: I like the way you think, and now I feel a little better about this purchase. I am running Windows XP Pro, SP2 in BC. However, try as I might (have AppleCare) I have not been able to install the BC 2.1 update.

Have updated all the drivers with the Leopard DVD. BC 2.1 would not install in Windows safe mode.

I was thinking that I should dump XP and by going to Windows 7 all will be well. Not so fast, if I can't install BC 2.1, Windows 7 (upgrade) may be a pipe dream.

Maybe Snow Leopard is the answer.

(chscag, you should be a moderator)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have also pre-ordered the Win 7 Home Premium upgrade. Keep in mind that Snow Leopard when released will very likely include updated drivers for use with Boot Camp. At the very least, SL will include the BC 2.1 update. However, I personally believe it will include much more especially seeing how the 64 bit version of Win 7 is being touted.

Something else to think about..... You can always install your copy of Win 7 "clean" over the top of XP or Vista. Just choose the option for a new install. No disk swapping will be required. The Win 7 installer will recognize the fact that a valid upgrade version of Windows already exists and will proceed with the install. During the install it will "wipe" the old version.

I'm looking forward to running Win 7 alongside of Snow Leopard. :D

Regards.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag: good to read that SL will probably include the BC 2.1 update (makes sense). I was told by Microsoft that the Windows 7 upgrade DVD will have the 32-bit and the 64-bit version on it. I have some compatibility concerns (hardware, software) so I was going to avoid Windows 7 64-bit, like the plague.

Doing a clean install of Windows 7 over XP is exactly what I want. I am personally interested in Windows 7 XP Mode because it will allow you to run Windows XP compatible applications.. However, it is my understanding at the chip level that the computer will have to have Hardware Virtualization built-in. I went over to security expert Steve Gibson's website (GRC) to run a small program called Securable to find out if I processor had Hardware Virtualization built-in. After running Securable it shows that Hardware Virtualization is "Locked on." According to Paul Thurrot, Hardware Virtualization needs to be enabled for XP mode to work. When it comes to enabling Hardware Virtualization, I am buffaloed. Maybe Snow Leopard will resolve this issue.

Securable.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.