can't format new HDD!

C

crisrose

Can anyone help? I'm putting my new HDD in, but the disk utility doesn't recognise it, so i can't format it!

any ideas guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mac specs? what kind of hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, ok. if its internal, try booting from the os install disc 1 and use disk utility to reformat. Installer>open disk utility. then install the os.

OP
C

crisrose

it's the hard drive specified here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15658

booting from the OSX Install disc one and going into the disk utility lists only the CD/DVD drive.

There are no locations to install to listen.

The HDD is being accessed, as it's getting hot, and it is connected correctly.

Plugging the old hard drive back into it boots as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in that case, I think youll need to connect that hd to another mac and use disk utility on that mac to reformat. are you sure it is set as master? if its getting hot enough to feel in a few minutes, its most likely not connected correctly.

OP
C

crisrose

there are no jumper settings on a 2.5" HDD

there is only one way to plug the connector in.

the IDE cable that connects to the drive is not the same as a 3.5" drive, so it will not connect to a normal desktop computer.

fun huh? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right, in that case, youve only one option, install the new hd, hook your ibook to another mac through firewire, boot using target disk mode and use that macs disk utility to format the hd.

OP
C

crisrose

unfortunatly i only have the one Mac, so bang goes that idea.

the iBook is now back together and running o nthe old hard drive.

I will have to get an external 2.5" drive enclosure and format it that way. Not the end of the world, i was going to get one anyways and put the 30Gb drive in it.

thanks for your efforts though :)

OP
L

Lasha

Whoah...you can actually connect your Mac, rather it be a Notebook or Desktop to another Mac, and use the Disk Utility from that other Mac to format the hard drive of the other Mac? That's pretty amazing...

Also, I hope everything works out well for you since you couldn't get what you needed to work. Maybe the type of hard drive you got is just not completely compatible with all Notebooks, with the iBook being one of them.

OP
T

titan0111

leave your old HDD in your iBook...

get a 2.5" HDD enclosure...

put your new HDD in the enclosure...

then go on from there...

that way...you can have an external HDD for storage or backups...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lasha said:
Whoah...you can actually connect your Mac, rather it be a Notebook or Desktop to another Mac, and use the Disk Utility from that other Mac to format the hard drive of the other Mac? That's pretty amazing...

Also, I hope everything works out well for you since you couldn't get what you needed to work. Maybe the type of hard drive you got is just not completely compatible with all Notebooks, with the iBook being one of them.
you know about firewire disk mode, and target disk mode, right?
it makes the laptop act as an external hd essentially.

OP
L

Lasha

I haven't really gone that deep into the OS to know about those disk features. Can you please explain to me? You can either IM me on AIM, or post here for everyone else to know too. Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually explain it in great depth in a thread somewhere on this forum, now to find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
I actually explain it in great depth in a thread somewhere on this forum, now to find it.
I explained it a few times in fact, heres a quick run through.
1. Apple says that you should unplug all other FireWire devices from both computers. TDM works whether you do this or not but there may be a "hidden" technical reason so I advise doing as Apple says and disconnecting all FireWire devices before initiating TDM.

2. Make sure that the Target Mac is turned off. (The Host doesn't need to be turned off.)

3. Use your FireWire (6-pin to 6-pin) cable and connect the two Macs.

4. Start up the Target Mac while you hold down the "t" key. You can release the t as soon as the FireWire icon appears. The screen will be a solid color -- blue, green or gray -- and the FireWire icon will be the only thing visible. It's a little scary the first time; but what isn't?

The FW icon sort of bounces around the screen but don't worry, this is normal. The hard drive of the Target Mac should appear on the desktop of the Host Mac. If it doesn't, restart the Host and it will show up.

5. Now that the Target Mac's drive is "in" the Host Mac you can put whatever you need to transfer into the new folder you've created there. Either click and drag to copy it or create and save it there. If you're transferring a FCP movie and it's over 15 minutes long have lunch or something because even though it's a lot faster than ethernet it'll still take a while to copy.

6. When you are finished copying files, drag the Target Mac's HD icon to the Host Mac's Trash or select "Put Away" from the OS 9 File menu or "Eject" from the OS X File menu. Very important; Don't forget this step because if you simply leave TDM (by turning off the Target Mac) before doing it you can lose files.

7. Here's a step that gave me pause but when you think about it, it's the only available method: Use the Target Mac's power button to turn it off. See, there's no desktop or toolbar, just the colored screen with the FireWire icon so the power button is the only way.

8. Unplug the 6 to 6 FireWire cable from both Macs.

Now you're back to normal so plug in all the FireWires for both Macs back where they belong during regular operation and you're done with the transfer.

Reaction score
crisrose said:
Can anyone help? I'm putting my new HDD in, but the disk utility doesn't recognise it, so i can't format it!

any ideas guys?

I found when plugging in the HD cable on the notebooks, its very easy to connect just one row of pins. I did it before and of course you won't be able to see the HD. Double check everything.

ed724

OP
C

crisrose

titan0111 said:
leave your old HDD in your iBook...

get a 2.5" HDD enclosure...

put your new HDD in the enclosure...

then go on from there...

that way...you can have an external HDD for storage or backups...

As i said in my last post, that is exactly what i am having to do now.

It was always my plan to have the 30GB drive in a 2.5" caddy as a backup external drive, i just thought i'd be able to get it later and use the 100GB in the machine now.

The HDD was connected correctly, and i know that as i did it about 15 times before i gave up. lol.

Still the iBook went back together very quickly, hopefully next time it won't take so long to open up.

As for the firewire drive mode, as useful as it is, some of us only have one mac, so it's not entirely useful...

OP
P

pstauff

So do all unformatted HD's need to be formatted from another Mac? Or is this unique to your Toshiba HD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.