What is osx snow leopard going to be like?

Reaction score
Hi,
Is leopard going to be the same thing or will it be different?
Does anybody know what it is like?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It will not look any different.

It introduces a few under the hood technologies and is a clean up of the whole OS, partially to ditch redundant code (like support for PPC processors) and partly to have a clean and compact OS on which to build the future of OSX from a lean and solid base

Mac OS X v10.6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In my opinion all the above is correct. I think it's the very important transition step what will make the development of 10.7 and 10.8 and beyond possible.

Also the above article was surprised at why snow leopard installed would shrink the Application folder's size. Well that's obvious as it trims all the old PPC code away from the Apple made apps. As you won't be needing it anymore and it saves space, and maybe makes said apps run a little more smooth.

Also Quicktime X will have many recording features we currently (Well I do anyways) use other apps for. So maybe I could ditch those apps, save the HD space and just use QTX instead. It's a nice thought.

So in short to me it's as all the above have stated a streamlined, faster more efficient intel only version of Leopard with a small handful of flashy features. And yes I'll defiantly be preordering my copy of it when the Apple.com.au have it on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I seriously can't wait for Snow Leopard.

Finally they are moving to a true 64-bit core (which Microsoft did ages ago with XP) and ditching PPC support. Doesn't matter that it takes up less space, but the speed improvements will bring out the best in all Intel Macs...

Reaction score
The only news that I dislike about Snow is the fact my G4 Mini wont be able to run it. I've only just bought my Mac (I wanted a cheap introduction) so it's a bit annoying, but still, I am enjoying it so I'm sure I'll love an Intel based Mini with Snow on it.

My mum & dad will be happy, because it means a "new" Mac for them :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Finally they are moving to a true 64-bit core (which Microsoft did ages ago with XP) and ditching PPC support.
While not as pervasive and fully supported as SL, Leopard has 64bit support. It has a 64bit Unix userland, 64bit Cocoa and support for 64bit apps. That said, SL has a 64bit kernel (source).

Windows XP 64bit is piece of junk. Getting good support for x64 XP in terms of drivers was labourious. So, it may have had 64bit support but it was horrible at best.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
While not as pervasive and fully supported as SL, Leopard has 64bit support. It has a 64bit Unix userland, 64bit Cocoa and support for 64bit apps. That said, SL has a 64bit kernel (source).

Windows XP 64bit is piece of junk. Getting good support for x64 XP in terms of drivers was labourious. So, it may have had 64bit support but it was horrible at best.

What bugs me is all the different versions of Windows. Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate and 64-Bit. Why not just one that does it all? That has always bothered me.

And yes, Windows 64-Bit drivers can be a pain a lot of times to find.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What bugs me is all the different versions of Windows. Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate and 64-Bit. Why not just one that does it all? That has always bothered me.

And yes, Windows 64-Bit drivers can be a pain a lot of times to find.
You know there are too many versions of a piece of software when there is a dedicated page for versions on Wikipedia.

I remember trying to setup a 64bit XP rendering machine at work one summer (we needed 64bit for memory reasons). It was so arduous trying to get everything working to the point where we could confidently give it to the employee. This is where I appreciate OS X - one version that works according to what hardware it's running on. That, and the fact that there is no OS X basic, semi-basic, professional, "leet h4xorz" and business editions. ;)

Reaction score
You know there are too many versions of a piece of software when there is a dedicated page for versions on Wikipedia.

I remember trying to setup a 64bit XP rendering machine at work one summer (we needed 64bit for memory reasons). It was so arduous trying to get everything working to the point where we could confidently give it to the employee. This is where I appreciate OS X - one version that works according to what hardware it's running on. That, and the fact that there is no OS X basic, semi-basic, professional, "leet h4xorz" and business editions. ;)

This is one of the many things that attracted me to OS X. I like the fact there is "OS X <Version Number>" and not, as you say, "OS X Home", "Premium", "Business", "LOL! L00K 4 B4DG3R!", etc.

That, and the shiney UI :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.