Sleep vs Shut Down for transport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
My previous notebook was a Compaq Presario and i almost allways trasnported it in hibernate mode, but this function does not exist for the iBook, my question, is it safe to move the computer when it is just sleeping or is better to shut it down?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Iv'e heard it is safe to move te when sleeping. I just make sure when I close the lid if there is a disk in it, to make sure it stops spinning before you move it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've always moved it while in sleep mode and never had a problem.

X

xthisisRomancex

i called the tech support and they said the hard drive was locked in place while it was a sleep.. so there is not any harm that could happen.
.. and it makes it so much eaiser to just open the lid type in the pass and go on with life....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep I've always transported while it was asleep also and I have no problems whatsoever.

R

ryanyogan

What if I were on a very long trip and conserving the battery was a must, does it make a difference? Like say 20 hours without power and wanted to open it every once in a while during that duration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
adding my 2cents....
i transport it in sleep mode but since i have been doing alot of traveling lately (flying), security suggests that you turn your laptops off completely before going through the xray machine at the airport. i do it just too keep things moving smoothly, but i don't know if they are really strict about it or not.

X

xthisisRomancex

What if I were on a very long trip and conserving the battery was a must, does it make a difference? Like say 20 hours without power and wanted to open it every once in a while during that duration?
I would say put it to sleep becasue IMO i wouldn think it takes more power to boot the system rather than to wake it up.......but as BigBear said if you are in airports you imght want shup it off while going through x-ray machines...

N

neosen

i think they are just looking for stuff moving, when in sleep mode nothing should be moving

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.