Mackbook vs Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious cosmetic difference and the specs (processor, RAM, hard drive) is there much difference between the 13" mac book and the 13" mac book pro?

I'm thinking about buying, but not quite sure what to get yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Tech specs comparison chart. (First 2 columns if you haven't already done this)

The main reason to step up to the pro would depend on what you intend to use it for. Any professional-type use like music composition, video editing, etc. may necessitate the mbp. But even then, you can get away with the macbook for some of those things. There are a few additional features the pro has, such as SD card slot that may be beneficial if you're loading lots of photos, for example.
Decide what you need it for, then go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
The difference is that it's a "Pro" and it's awesome, unlike the Macbook which is not a "Pro" and ...well it's still a pretty awesome computer.

I went from my second gen white Macbook to a 13" Macbook Pro and the differences (aside from me going from my upgraded 3gig of RAM down to 2gig this one came with) are:

Macbook - Firewire 400
Pro - Firewire 800 (and I don't remember if the new Macbooks even have any firewire at all)

Macbook - no SD slot
Pro - SD slot

Macbook - both input and output audio jacks
Pro - only one jack for audio and you have to tell Mac OS how you're going to use it (kind of a step back, really)

Macbook - one button trackpad
Pro - no button trackpad that acts like an iPhone as well

Macbook - okay screen
Pro - awesome brilliant bright screen even if it's the same size

Macbook - Mini DVI
Pro - Mini-mini DVI

Macbook - 3-4 hour battery tops (removable, experienced value)
Pro - 6 hour battery or more (non-removable, also experienced value)

Macbook - keyboard I felt necessary to use external with all the time
Pro - it looks like the same, but somehow feels different. I still use a bluetooth external at home, but at work I can use the keyboard built-in. Can't explain why

Macbook - sexy
Pro - very very very sexy

Also the Macbook is reported (and experienced) to have outstanding WiFi pulling range, though I haven't noticed any issues with the Pro's WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I had a 2.2ghz white MacBook and it worked flawlessly. And it was lightning fast. A couple weeks ago I upgraded to the entry level 2.26ghz MBP which has similar specs. I have noticed no difference in performance (I don't use it for games), however, I wasn't looking for one either. I just really dug the aluminum case and the backlit keyboard.

Unless you play games or need a specific port or hardware connection I think you'd be very happy with either one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks all, these are some great responses - it's a tough decision, I guess I'll need to see what the pocketbook will bear...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I took advantage of the 'buy a Mac and get a free ipod touch' promotion. Put the touch on Craigslist unopened and it will sell for $180. That will help ease the pain in the pocketbook!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm actually going to take advantage of that, but I'm getting the 120GB ipod classic to upgrade my current iPod.

I currently have a 16GB ipod touch 1st gen, and a 30GB ipod video, plus a 14" iBook G4, all of which I want to sell to help pay for the macbook, but for some reason I still can't post in the Buy/Sell forum...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I bought a new MacBook around 3 weeks ago, I soon gave it back to Apple and bought a nice sexy brand new MBP 13".

It was so worth the money - one of the nicest bits of tec I have ever used.

Reaction score
I went for the MBP 13" over the white macbook. I've had for a week and I have no regrets. It's hard to describe just how sturdy and well built it feels. I mean yeah the hardware is more or less the same as the white macbook but I think the case and the led screen are more than worth the slight premium.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.