Which one should I get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 15" | iPhone 5 | iPad Mini
Ok so I have somewhat of a dilemma... I just recently purchased a UMBP 15inch which is great love the thing to death. But I purchased it as a desktop replacement, it's not something I really want to carry around to school or work . Now I was throwing around the idea of getting another mac laptop to carry around with me. One that I don't have to worry about too much and that will probably be slightly abused and dinged up before I'm done with it.

So here are some of the ones I'm thinking about. A Powerbook G4, either a 12inch or a 15inch. Thinking about buying one from ebay or some other website that sells them. A Unibody Macbook, which I can pick up for 899.99 at my job. A macbook air. Which is light and very thin. I can also pick up the 1st revision at my work for about 1,200.

Each one has it's pros and cons but I was wondering what you guys think I should get. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Unibody Macbook because it's newer and has all the better specs. But in reality specs don't matter to me I'm just going to be typing emails and essays for school. So speed isn't really a factor. Like I said I just want something that I can sort of throw around. Not in the literal sense but you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Don't get another 15" as a machine to carry around with you, my advice. Or else, why bother getting another machine at all, you might as well take your 15" with you and save some cash? :)

Also is battery life important to you? For university, it is to me, as I often go 4-6 hours without charging and I like to type my lecture notes. If battery is a factor maybe look at the new MBPs/MBs, both have good battery life (but the MBP beats the MB).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'd go for the 13" MB for sure, although 15" seems to pretty mobile. The 17" is the one that is really considered a desktop replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Waste of cash if you ask me... what's stopping you from using your current MBP? If you're not going to use it as a notebook, you might as well sell it and buy an iMac and MacBook for the money you get.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Waste of cash if you ask me... what's stopping you from using your current MBP? If you're not going to use it as a notebook, you might as well sell it and buy an iMac and MacBook for the money you get.

Have to agree with Apt on this one. $899 so that you can carry 1 lb (or 0.45kg) less weight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
yeah this really seems like a waste of money, if you really want a desktop, why don't you go buy an iMac, and then use your 15" as your laptop. And if the 15 is too big, sell it, buy a 13, then if you still need a desktop get a desktop. I just don't see the sense in buying 2 laptops only to use one as a desktop. But I guess it's your money so do with it what you please.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input guys! I mean I have a little bit of extra money to spend and getting an iMac is a little too big for me. I love having portablility. So even though my umbp is a desktop replacement if and when I need to move it or take it somewhere I can. With a iMac that'd be a lot hard. I most likely will get the Unibody Macbook because it's more current and it can run some games I want to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Too bad. You could have just bought a mac mini and monitor of your choice for desktop machine and a 13" macbook pro for school and work. Would have saved you some $$$. I have a 15" mbp and it's easy enough to carry around. I don't see the big deal in doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're worried about dings and dents? Buy a hard case shell.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I mean I have an invisible shield on it already and that works fine. But I'm most likely picking up the unibody macbook thanks for the input though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah I mean I have an invisible shield on it already and that works fine.
Good thinking – you never know what damage your Macbook might suffer sitting on your desk all day. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Good thinking –*you never know what damage your Macbook might suffer sitting on your desk all day. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one...

Well you never know...someone could come by and do a "key job" on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
I personally think that if your going to be dinging up this computer and not really caring about it, maybe you should swing for something less expensive then a mac. just a suggestion

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I personally think that if your going to be dinging up this computer and not really caring about it, maybe you should swing for something less expensive then a mac. just a suggestion

What fun would it be dinging up something cheap.

If you're going to do it, might as well do it right.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with bob. I don't mean really mean I'm gonna throw it around and neglect it cause that's far from the case. But if it gets a scratch here or a ding there I won't be too worried because it's my "everyday" computer in a sense. But I'm going to be picking it up on Friday after work. I can get a pretty good discount on it. 899$ new in box. So I can't resist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.