Need help to find the right Mac OS X for my MacBook!

Reaction score
My MacBook information:
MacBook 5.2
Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz
2G Memory 256 Nividia GeForce 9400M
120Gb hard disk
It's a white, plastic cover MaBook

I'v just erased the hard disk and then found out the installation disks had been missing. I'v tried to use the disks from my daughter MacBook 5.1 to reinstall but it not allowed. Now my question is which installation disk shoud be the right one for my Mac and where I can download or by it?
Thanks,
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you don't have access to your restore discs, then you have two options. One option is to call up Apple and order a replacement set. You will simply have to provide your serial number and they'll send out the appropriate set for your make and model. Your second option is to buy a retail copy of Leopard. It will cost you around $129 at the Apple Store.

There is currently no legal option to download OS X.

Just in case you were curious, the reason your daughter's discs didn't work is because restore discs are tied to a specific model. So both of your machines had to be near identical for her discs to work in your machine.

OP
conghoan
Reaction score
Thanks for you quickly reply. Where can i see the serial number so I can order the disk from Apple or at the other shop?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Easiest way is to click on the apple icon in the upper left, select About this Mac, and then click on More Info. In the window that pops up you'll see your Serial Number listed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Easiest way is to click on the apple icon in the upper left, select About this Mac, and then click on More Info. In the window that pops up you'll see your Serial Number listed.
You can also go to the Apple menu > About This Mac and where it says your version, click it twice (clicking once shows the build number).

OP
conghoan
Reaction score
Great helpers you are! The SN had been found under the battery component. Let say that I just bought the Mac OS X Leopard 10.5, install and download all the drivers, applications later like in windows, that will be alright or it has to be the system disk for the right MacBook?
Thanks

Reaction score
The retail Leopard disc is generic. It would install on any Leopard-compatible Mac that existed at the time the disc was pressed. Of course, your Mac being relatively new, you would need a recent retail disc. I think the latest they press is 10.5.6, which would likely cover your model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
There are no drivers to download, just install and everything will work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Applications that came new with your machine like the whole iLife Suite will not be on the retail 10.5 DVD. Those only come on the DVD that comes with a Mac at the time of purchase. Just a note.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.