ibook reset

Reaction score
hey guys
i'm selling my IBook G4 A1055 and i want to reset it. i bought it second hand and when i got it it went to the screen with welcome in heaps of different languages and then i went on to register my mac etc etc. but now that i'm selling it, how do i take it back to that setting?
thanks heaps!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have the original install media that came with the iBook? If you do, boot with the install media, reinstall the operating system and applications that came with it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
mattmuffler,

Not sure you can get back to that point.. (I really don't know) Unless you reinstall OS X

But what you can do is just create a new user something like MacUser.. if you don't have the reinstall cd/dvd.

give it administrative rights, Log in with the new user and delete your current user with all the files and folders.. that should give the new owner a fresh slate to start off with ..

The only thing to be aware of is this will not permanently delete all of your files like a zero out of the drive and a fresh install. so if someone is devious enough and willing to spend the time they can recreate your files.. So it is best to start all over.

Hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
no i don't! bumma. thanks for your help though! what should i do?

When you sell the machine you really should give the new owner a set of install disks. You could buy a retail version of either Tiger or Leopard and use it to reinstall the operating system and applications. You may be able to purchase a copy on eBay at a discount. Just include the disks with the sale.

The alternative is to sell it as is but make sure you remove all your personal information from the machine first.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
deregister?

Hi guys
following on from my reset thread, is there a way that i can de-register my ibook? you know how when you start it up for the first time and you have to enter you country, address, phone number etc etc is there any way of resetting that so that the new buyer can register it for them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Hi guys
following on from my reset thread, is there a way that i can de-register my ibook? you know how when you start it up for the first time and you have to enter you country, address, phone number etc etc is there any way of resetting that so that the new buyer can register it for them?

Re-install the OS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.