Shuts down for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello, need advice/help.

Recently received repaired Macbook back. (Mainly do to crashed hard drive) but they also repaired flickering screen and body.

Battery is not 100% condition but this is happening when plugged in.

My Macbook is completely shutting down during Timemachine and I think it did the same thing when I left it it to clone before swapping hard drives. Both times it was plugged in and left to do it's thing, for no reason it completely shuts down.

Help! :)

Adrian

OP
R
Reaction score
Update...

I put a battery from our other Macbook in it and ran Timemachine and it still shutdown during the backup. (using power adapter)

I then turned the Macbook back on and just let it sit and do nothing. It never shut down.

Could it be Timemachine doing this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Pro, 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, 20 inch ACD, a few cows...
What's the speed and RAM of the MacBook? What processor? Early MacBooks had a random shutdown issue. Is it in warranty?

OP
R
Reaction score
I bought both Macbooks in the Fall of 2006. 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB RAM.

(Macbook just came back from a depot repair. Also noticing a loud whirring noise at times towards the back of the case near screen, possibly the fan? Not the hard drive or disc drive.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Pro, 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, 20 inch ACD, a few cows...
Those are notorious for "RSS" - random shutdown syndrome. It is caused by the heatsink expanding and interfering/shorting a certain wire. It is usually remedied with a repair, and I think there may be a firmware update related to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.