MBP Taking Longer To Boot After HDD Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Im not sure why this is, but since my HDD upgrade it takes around 25-30 secs longer too boot.

This is how long it used to take:-

YouTube - 2009 Apple MacBook Pro Alu Vs 2009 Apple MacBook White - Boot Up Time.

It seems like it takes ages before the Apple logo is displayed.

Why is this?

My old drive was the std Hitachi 160Gb 5400rpm version. I upgraded it to a Seagate 320GB 5400rpm.

I am paranoid that its also slower in use, but I didnt time anything prior to upgrade other than boot up times.

Reaction score
mac upgrade WD black slow boot

Had the same problem. Fixed by choosing boot from Macintosh HD in system preferences and startup.. For the first time after upgrade, you may have to wait for upto a minute for mac to boot up. The you can fix this by configuring startup option in System preferences.
Resetting PRAM and NVRAM also helped a lot.. To do this, start the mac and hold command, option, P, R all together. Wait until the mac reboots automatically. Hopefully this should speed up the boot time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.