Safari 4 Crashes On Random Sites.

Reaction score
I have a brand new imac, 1 month old. Only thing I installed on it was Firefox but didn't really like it so I'm using Safari 4. However, on certain sites (i.e. Time Mag, PCWorld) it will randomly crash. Others it will work fine (i.e. ESPN, Amazon, WeatherChannel). I would reopen Safari and it would work like nothing happened until another random site. This happens once every day or so. Is it a plug-in problem? What minimum plug-ins do I need to run Safari smoothly? Can you help me out? Thanks.

I have the report feed I can copy here if you need it.

Reaction score
Safari Crashes with embedded WMV files

I've been having this problem for about a year or so now and have taken to avoiding sites with WMV content.
Recently I encountered a suggestion for a similar problem and went to check my Hard Drive/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder.
Inside I had Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.Plugin and Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

My solution was to put the webplugin version into the Disabled Plug-Ins folder and reboot Safari.
I immediately went to a site with embedded WMV content and it didn't crash.

Hopefully this works for others.

Keep in mind that it might not be those two specific plugins for you if you don't have Flip4Mac installed, but look for two plug-ins trying to do the same job and temporarily disable one.

Reaction score
I use the flip for MAC and found safari 4 also quits on me. I have my new ALU-Mac 6 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.