macbook will not turn on, logic board?

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting anything, I believe Im in the right place but sorry if Im not. I am having trouble with my macbook, I came home from work was real busy and it ended up sitting in my laptop bag for 2 days before I took it back out, unfortunately I was an idiot and forgot to shut it down too, needless to say when I finally took it back out of my bag the battery was dead, I plugged it in and tried to turn it on but I got nothing, the power indicator light comes on but the HDD does not boot up nor does the fan turn on, nothing happens. Ive tried everything I could find on apple's site, and anything I could find doing google searches and nothing is working. From what ive read it sounds like its the logic board. Has anyone had a problem like this, can anyone tell me if it is the logic board, or if theres a way to diagnose this, I am capable of replacing it myself but i want to make sure thats what it is. I dont want to take it to apple and be charged ridiculous repair fees (out of warranty) so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does the machine turn on with the battery removed?

OP
T
Reaction score
No, it does not turn on with the battery removed, also I figure I should mention Ive tried swapping the RAM out, and I pulled the harddrive put it in a external adaptor and booted from it on my desktop with no problem so I know the harddrive is fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for the input, I figured thats what it was but thought id put it out there in case there was and easy fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Penryn 2.66GHz 4GB Memory 512MB VRAM 500GB 7200RPM HD
same here...my logic board went out in May...I returned it to the Apple Store...this is the 2nd logic board on my 17" MBP and to my surprise after the last repair Apple has removed my serial number from their computers, so the Genius at the Apple store couldn't create a ticket...I called Apple and now they require my original receipt (from the same store) stating that my MBP is out of warrany and I would need to pay a flat rate (which I knew)...anyways...to make this story short...Apple is researching why my serial number was removed from their computers...the Mac Genius feels it was re-serialized after the last logic board replacement...meanwhile...I have a paperweight...until they resolve the issue...which is 2 months and counting...

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is at all relevent to your situation but I have recently got a dead G4 Titanium powerbook to start again after being a paperweight for a while with the help of the people on here.

The problem on mine was the cmos battery was totally dead and it was this that was stopping the machine from starting. Unplugging it allowed the machine to start and after rebooting and shutting down a few times I reconnected the battery and it now works fine.

The thread for my query was still on the first page of this section under the title of Dead G4 Titanium powerbook.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/156693-dead-g4-titanium-powerbook.html

Like I said, not sure this is relevent but it may just be the solution (hoping for you).

Trinimac.

Reaction score
deffenly sounds like a bad logic board umm just wondering when you had it in your bag for a couple of days was asleep or running in the bag because if was you could of fried the logic board also do you get the mac chime when your tuen it on ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
deffenly sounds like a bad logic board umm just wondering when you had it in your bag for a couple of days was asleep or running in the bag because if was you could of fried the logic board also do you get the mac chime when your tuen it on ???

and the Logic board would be fried because? Not sure i understand what u are saying.

OP
T
Reaction score
first thanks for all the replies and thanks to trinimac for the the tip unfortunately that is not the case.. to manning28addai no it was not asleep, it was running, no I get no chime or any kind of sound at all... Im certain at this point I have to replace the logic board which is what I figured was the case but I thought I would get some input, always best to rule out the easy fixes first.. and to answer your question collin Bl, it isnt fried in the conventional sense, but the processor chips will become damaged if they overheat with no visible damage, entrapped in an enclosed space like that even with the heatsink and fan it only goes so far.. like I said I figured thats what happened but wanted to rule out any simple stuff before I bought a new board and tore my computer apart..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.