Time Machine Error

Reaction score
My hard drive crashed and burned. Apple replaced it and I had full recovery thanks to Time Machine. But now that I'm up and running I get the following error message when Time Machine attempts to backup: "Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while linking files on the backup volume." I can't seem to find out what this means. I"m guessing that it has sees some disconnect between the previous backup set and the new one. Do I trash all the previous backup sets and run a new one as if starting from scratch? Thoughts, advice?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect you're correct. Remove all previous backups and start fresh again. I really don't know why some folks insist on keeping Time Machine backups from long ago anyway.

Backups should always be the most current so that if something does happen to your hard drive your restoration will result in minimum loss of data. If a file or certain data is that important that it must be kept from long ago, you would be better off archiving it to a CD or DVD and keep it separate.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.