Permanently Force Quitting Process To Burn CDs

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal.

I haven't been able to burn CDs in my computer for about 6 months now. Everytime I try from itunes, or anywhere, it says my burner is in use by another application..

I had read somewhere that possibly old Western Digital hard drive files might conflict with my CD Burner drive, and stopping it from burning. (It still READs files/movies etc...) I do not use this drive anymore and have since bought an Iomega drive because the WD one did not work with my computer.

So what I tried the other day was going into my Activity Monitor, and closing all processes that started with "WD" signifying Western Digital. I did, and sure enough, I could burn CDs again!!!

However, these processes re-start themselves only a few seconds after I close them. How can I get these to disappear permanently? It's too much work having to close out of the processes every single time I want to burn something.

Thanks again!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just plugging in a WD drive to your Mac would not have installed anything. This would have had to be done through an install process. Would suggest looking through your Application folder - including inside the Utilities folder for any WD software and using it's uninstaller if it has one.

OP
K
Reaction score
I've scoured through all of my possible folders that I could, did Spotlight searches, etc etc. Can't find anything else possible that would show any remnants of this existing still on my hard drive.

I did an install of the software when I did have it and uninstalled it when I found out it wasn't working.

I mean I'm no expert here, but could these files be hidden somewhere that I'm unaware of?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have not installed anything specifically like this on my Mac's, but I would guess that any software WD would provide for monitoring their drives probably makes modifications to system files and would have been an installer pkg rather than a drag-n-drop app.

IF that is the case and you just moved the app to the trash, I'd suggest re-installing it and use it's uninstaller to remove it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Unfortunately I do not have the program/disk to re-install the software.

The drive was bought refurbished from Overstock.com and did not work, so I returned it to them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WD typically has their software available for download from the website also.

Here's the WD download page. Should be able to find it there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.