My Video Guide - 13" MBP Hard Drive Upgrade and RAM Upgrade

Reaction score
OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
They will both work. I am wary about using the WD as there have been reports that it bleeps now and then. A member on here told me about it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You can read reviews of those two HDD here. Not sure if they are cheaper or not, but they have free shipping so I would look into that.

Reaction score
Well I did it, it works and Chris gets to keep his noggin. All is well lol.

Did find it a little hard having chunkier fingers getting the bottom Ram out.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice one - congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Phew! I did it! Thanks for the video!! Replaced the stock 160GB HDD with a WD Scorpio Black 320GB, and put in 4GB of RAM to replace the stock 2GB!! I nearly had a heart attack thinking I was going to do something wrong but it seems good so far.

I can hear my new HDD more than my other one. The other one was silent (stock 160 GB with my 13" MBP). This one I can hear humming very slightly. Is that ok? It also feels warm in the top left hand corner of the keyboard.

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All drives are different - this just may be slightly louder and may generate more heat than your other one. You should be fine though.

Well done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
One problem - not sure if you will know the answer to this? After cloning my old uniMB HDD and putting it on the new one, then putting that into my new MBP, the sound is not working. It says it is unavailable. So I rebooted from the original drive (which is in an enclosure and I have not erased yet, thankfully) and the sound works fine with that. Do you know if I need to download a driver for the new MBP that was not part of my old uniMB which I cloned? Since there is no hardware issue (since the sound works with the original drive) it must be a driver issue? How can I fix this?

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that is a strange problem.

I would do 2 things:

Wipe the drive and clone again.

And/or do an archive-install to reinstall your OSX SW without loosing your apps or user data.

sak

Reaction score
Uboat

nice video:) i stopped collecting watches 3 yrs ago , loved the Uboat watches , bought myself 3 of them like 3 yrs ago , 53" tobacco , black dial and beige in 47 mm. i had to order them from italy those days , where can you get them now on east coast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
thank you very much. Excellent video. What type RAM and Hard drive did you purchase and any links??

thanks

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nice video:) i stopped collecting watches 3 yrs ago , loved the Uboat watches , bought myself 3 of them like 3 yrs ago , 53" tobacco , black dial and beige in 47 mm. i had to order them from italy those days , where can you get them now on east coast?

Not sure - I am based in the Uk. You can get them from most online retailers these days. Also premium stores/jewelers sell them.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video good sir, made me a little more comfortable about attempting this once I purchase. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, I'll definitely use it when I upgrade my new MBP (same as yours in video).

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No worries, I might do one or two more vids when I get a chance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.