Help Stolen Ibook !

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Well, the fact that it was nicked at school and that it was after school too narrows it down a bit. Doesn't your school have CCTV or something?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah. Does your school have security cameras?

OP
B

Bwoody06

Sorry to hear about that. I lock my laptop down to the desk when i get up to leave anywere. I have film of kids trying to take it too. So funny when you show them, and see them get so surprised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
In Uni I'd also recommend locking your laptop down if you plan on leaving it at all for ANY length of time...

I often take mine to uni with me (see quite a few other iBookers here as well) and I think as long as you a) always have it with you or b) don't ever leave it unattended without a lock, you should be aright.

Treat it as you would your mobile phone or iPod. (Just don't put it in your jeans pockets ;))

OP
G

George Ochoa

I Got It And Caught The Fcker !!

Hey GUYS. The principal of my school busted the dude who stole my ibook. Tell ya more later.
THANKS GUYS FOR GIVING ME UR SUPPORT !!!!!!!!! THANK U ALL :headphone

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Now will you be able to get your iBook back? Nopefully, everything on it is just the way you left it.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That's great. I got the tar, the chicken feathers, and torches. HIS [beep] IS GRASS! I can't wait to hear what happened.

OP
I

iDVFH.

I'm going to Italy in a few months and I was going to bring my laptop with me..now I'm thinking twice about it..if my baby was ever stolen I think i'd break down lmao..Apple should put something on it where if you don't have the password or you forgot it you have to take it to the store to unlock the computer..it would be a hassle but an absolutely great way to prevent thieves..all you would have to do is bring a proof of purchase or something lol or call over the phone to verify

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
great, congrats, I say give him what's coming to him.

OP
S

sursuciofla

mangoSharingan said:
Argh...stupid 'Edit' facility not working....

I really hope your iBook turns up too. If you don't mind me asking, was he or she aware you had an iBook and went for that specifically? I'm just curious because I may be thinking twice about whether I should be taking out my iBook in public places now...

I take my ibook to uni almost everyday for my graphics class and take it out wherever and whenever I need. I guard it with my life and never leave it alone unless I know someone I can trust (a lot) to look after it. Just treat it like a limb and you should be okay. :ninja: :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I can imagine how you feel, I have the new 1.67 Ghz 17" PB. Now that's a theft target (or so I imagine)! I would love to have handcuffs, so I could attach it to my wrist....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
usually when i am in the library i drop my laptop off at the circulation desk for them to watch after it, i leave my school ID also so they see a picture of the person picking it up....i also know the people who work there well, esp when my gf's workin in the lib.

when using my PB outside my room and i need to go someplace, usually ill just pack up and go, or leave all my stuff and carry around my PB. yes it is kinda strange when you go to the bathroom and your standin there with your laptop in one hand...but ya know what? its not going to get stolen

im glad that you got it back, i too cant wait to hear this story

-chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I suggest you get a good cable lock for your laptop.

OP
M

MickMAC

Apple should put something on it where if you don't have the password or you forgot it you have to take it to the store to unlock the computer..it would be a hassle but an absolutely great way to prevent thieves..all you would have to do is bring a proof of purchase or something lol or call over the phone to verify

They do! If you set your laptop to require a password on startup or wakeup/screensaver. then when it is stolen the person will not be able to log on to the computer. If they are smart enough to insert a system disk and restart and reinstall then they would be all set, that is why I have set a firmware password. You can download a program from apple that will allow you to set a password to lock all of the startup function key ie. C. Disk start up, T. Target mode/firwire etc. It is one of the best safety features you can set on your ibook/powerbook. If they don't know your password there is no way in **** they will be able to reinstall the system and use your mac. (unless they know how to take it apart and mess with hardware)

I did it on my 17inch powerbook and feel a lot better about carring it around, sure it could still get stolen but it would really be useless unless sold for parts or and all of your info is safe.

and I have mine insured under my homeowners policy. I can throw the thing out the window on the freeway because I am mad and they will still replace it. ($35 bucks per year for coverage)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.