Refurb 15" MBP or New 15" MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
I'm looking into getting a 15"MBP because the screen size of my 13" just isn't cutting it.

Would you suggest getting the refurbed unibody 2.4 Ghz MBP, or the new 2.53 MBP? Price differences aside, what are the major pro's and cons of the two machines? And what would be your advice?

Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would be helpful if you could post the specs, cause it's hard to remember off the top of our heads what they are.

The new MBP doesn't have a dedicated GPU, and I believe that the last gen did. That's the only major difference between the two, besides the CPU speeds.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
I don't do much with graphics, so the integrated graphics might not mean anything to me. I also don't care about the card slot because they are cheap enough to buy anyway, and I just plug my camera in via USB anyway. And the RAM I can always increase on my own also, for much cheaper. The extended battery life on the new 15" is my real attraction, but is it worth an extra $250?? (I get an educator's discount of $100 off the price of a new one). Does the refurb one have an expansion slot??

Current 15"

-2.53 GHz
-250 GB HDD
-4 GB RAM
-integrated battery
-NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
-SD card slot

Refurb Store:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

-15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
-2GB memory
-250GB hard drive
-NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2
-Multi-touch trackpack
-Illuminated keyboard

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I think I have decided to go for the new version, due to the battery life. I have also found someone to buy my free iPod touch that I will receive and that will defray some of the cost.

One last question. I know this is pretty much personal preference, but I thought maybe someone might have some insight or idea that I had not considered.

When at my desk (which is quite often) I need a bigger screen than 13" - it just doesn't cut it. However, should I spend the extra money on the 15" to get the larger screen, or save some money and buy the 13" and buy an inexpensive monitor down the road? Basically, are there are significant differences between the 13" and 15" (besides screen size and HDD difference, which I can fix on my own later) that would warrant me getting the 15" rather than a monitor for a 13"

Thanks again for your help and patience!

Reaction score
Ok, I think I have decided to go for the new version, due to the battery life. I have also found someone to buy my free iPod touch that I will receive and that will defray some of the cost.

One last question. I know this is pretty much personal preference, but I thought maybe someone might have some insight or idea that I had not considered.

When at my desk (which is quite often) I need a bigger screen than 13" - it just doesn't cut it. However, should I spend the extra money on the 15" to get the larger screen, or save some money and buy the 13" and buy an inexpensive monitor down the road? Basically, are there are significant differences between the 13" and 15" (besides screen size and HDD difference, which I can fix on my own later) that would warrant me getting the 15" rather than a monitor for a 13"

Thanks again for your help and patience!
the main differences becides screen size is the 15'' has the option to have a dedicated gpu, this is only on the higher more exspensive models (the 9600gt card) they will both have the 9400m intergrated card.
so basicly becides from the screen the main difference is the gpu addiction, there is a larger range of cup speeds and i think the speekers are better.

imo unless you need a dedicated gpu go for the 13'' get 4gb of ram installed and then get yourself a monitor. it will mean that you have a really mobile laptop but when working at a desk you have a large screen.

sorry for all the typos/ any thing not making sence... very tired... right im of to bed.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can always hook up the MBP to a larger screen if you are going to working at home mostly.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that is what I will do - get the 13" and hook it up to a monitor.

On a side note: If I buy the notebook, install stuff, etc., then decide to change the HDD to a larger one, is there a way to get everything from the old HDD to the new one without having to put it on an external drive and reinstalling everything after?

Reaction score
LOL, i was in the same dilemma 2 weeks ago. I WENT WITH THE REFURB!

the main thing to me was that one has a removable battery, which is very useful for gamers. AND the refurb had the 9600 gt.

You may think "I need ram" but i spend $180 to get 4 gb of ram AND a 500 gb hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I think that is what I will do - get the 13" and hook it up to a monitor.

On a side note: If I buy the notebook, install stuff, etc., then decide to change the HDD to a larger one, is there a way to get everything from the old HDD to the new one without having to put it on an external drive and reinstalling everything after?

External enclosures are pretty cheap. This one is only $15 with free shipping.

Basically you would put your new drive in the external enclosure, clone your old HD over to it, and then take the old drive out of the Mac, and take the new drive out of the external and put it in the Mac. You can then put your old drive in the external enclosure and have yourself a nice external drive for backups or what ever you want, plus your new large drive in the Mac. Everything will work the same except you will have more space.

Here are some simple instructions.

Reaction score
I am in the same boat! I am choosing between a refurb mbp and a new mpb 15 inch. My complaint w/ the new ones is the key board. the stupid keys are so far apart. Everyone is fawning over how much better the back lighting is, but I don't really work in the dark, and I don't need to see the keys, I'm a good typist. I feel like I am going to sprain a finger on that new key board. And the whole thing seems so much flimsier. But I am afraid I am just being a curmudgeon and I am going to regret all this; that I should just get the new one and get the free ipod to boot. My story is that I have a work owned laptop that I just cart back and forth from work to home and use for everything (which means webbrowsing for fun, and word processing for work, my computer use isn't very advanced), but I would be more comfortable w/ my own comp. I probably should just get the macbook, but I have gotten really attached to the pro. Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
For what it's worth. I ended up with the 2.4 ghz MBP. I was going to buy a new one. But, I liked the idea of changing the battery easy, if I choose. Or you can even buy a spare for like $70-80. Plus the 4GB ram upgrade can be had for about $60.

I went from a 2.4ghz white MB. I needed the better graphics cards for some CAD stuff.

I also use an external monitor. 23" widscreen Dell with Web cam built in. Ebay like $220.00 shipped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.