Want all my iTunes music in one place, no data loss

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having an itunes problem - basically, 80% of my library in on an external drive, the rest is on my internal hard drive, and I want everything to be on the internal hard-drive, but still keep all my play-count/ playlist/ ratings data intact.

For almost a year, I've been having to switch on my external to hear most of my music, and I'm beginning to get sick of it. I've got everything copied and backed-up, so I'm happy to experiment, but so far I've been getting no where. Please help!!!! I have a 6000 strong library of music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
That is an easy fix! As long as there is room on your internal drive just preform the following:

1) Open the iTunes preferences window and go to the advanced tab.
2) Make sure the iTunes music location is set to the folder where you want all your music stored.
3) Close the iTunes preferences window.
4) From the "file" menu, choose "library" and then "consolidate library"
5) Click OK on the pop up dialog and let it work. Depending on how much data you have, this could take a while.

That is it! You now have all of your music in one location on your hard drive. From here, you can now delete all of the music on your external drive. To help keep your tunes organized you may wish to turn on the "copy files to my iTunes music folder when adding to library" and "keep iTunes music folder organized" options.

Last, but not least, I wrote this on my work computer which is a PC. If you are on a Mac, some of the options I mentioned might be in slightly different locations, but I think this is a fairly accurate guide.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thankyou!!!

eddiddiums, thanks a million, you wouldn't believe all the time-wasting things I did to try and and achieve that effect! I just can't believe that it was so easy...! Your post has literally made my day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
eddiddiums, thanks a million, you wouldn't believe all the time-wasting things I did to try and and achieve that effect! I just can't believe that it was so easy...! Your post has literally made my day.

And you just made mine. Thanks for the follow up. I'm glad everything went smoothly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.