What is wrong here? Opened it up and it was like this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 2GB 200GB
(clickable for larger pic)
The story behind it - I used it a bit at home, connected to the AC adapter, then closed it and put it in a laptop bag (quite tight on both sides - like a sleeve [you have to slide the computer out - it doesn't open]).
Then it was in the bag for 10-15minutes, I took it out, opened it up and this came up! (while it was like this, I could see the black mouse pointer and move it about just fine)
I did a hard restart, and then everything was fine.
What do you guys think is wrong? Do you think this is likely to happen again? Any tips or advice!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You've been possessed by a White Stripes video.

Seriously, looks like a graphic chip problem, but why it went like that because you put it away is anyones guess.
Another possibility may be you jogged the connector to the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
If its still under warranty or you have Applecare I'd take it in. Especially if it happens again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is a known defect with MacBook Pros powered by the NVIDIA Gefore 8600GT chip. Apple has extended the warranty to cover machines up to 2 years beyond the original warranty.

If the problem happens more than once, schedule it in for a repair. It should cost you nothing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 2GB 200GB
Apple has extended the warranty to cover machines up to 2 years beyond the original warranty.

I am not in the US, I am in New Zealand - am I still covered for that extra year? I should probably go and check at a shop actually. :)
And will Applecare still give an additional 3 years if you buy that 2 years after purchase of mac?
Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am not in the US, I am in New Zealand - am I still covered for that extra year? I should probably go and check at a shop actually. :)

Yes.

And will Applecare still give an additional 3 years if you buy that 2 years after purchase of mac?
Thanks!

No, the Applecare warranty is separate and distinct from this one. Also, it must be purchased before the original one year warranty expires.

This warranty is specific to the video card. See here:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.