Memory worries

Reaction score
When I check for new updates on my macbook, it will list a bunch of them. Each with their respective size in mgs. What I'm wondering is will installing these updates take up that much memory or replace something else, and the memory being used right now will remain relatively the same.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They do not take up "memory" and basically have zero effect on your memory.

Like any other data you put on your machine, whether it is an application, a document, a song, a video, etc. they will take up "space" on your hard drive. Yes, some updates will replace some system files on your machine with new system files, but not all.

If your hard drive is getting full to the point where you are concerned with installing updates to your operating system and applications, I would suggest you need to invest in a new larger hard drive and an external drive for backups.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's not getting even close to full, i just don't like the idea of taking up space on it, with updates that i'll have to install like every month or so.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
imho: I'd recommend forgetting that idea. Most updates (not version upgrades) are going to contain security hole patches and bug fixes. Usually these are items you will want to install, not pass on them because they use space on your drive as it was designed for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Do not pass up the opportunity to install these updates. They do not come every month as Microsofts do. I have had my iMac since January and have only had two.

As bobtomay said, don't pass them up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.