MBP price changes with new lineup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Anyone else peeved about this? I just bought my macbook pro 15.4" 2.4 last month and I paid 2100 for it. Now its 1599 under the refurbished link. (I also purchased a refurbished one)

I hate it when they do this, It happened when I bought my iBook years ago, a week later they came out with the macbooks for the same price I had paid for my iBook.

Anyone else have this happen?? Or better yet , anyone know if Apple (highly doubtful) match the new prices or is it one of those "Should've waited" situations?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You are about the millionth person to make a post like this. Listen, I'll put this simply: this is the way the tech industry works - things change with progress. Tech prices drop and tech increases in power/efficiency....

You won't get much sympathy here because this is not only how tech works but the wonderful system known as business. If it bothers you this much, don't buy tech.

OP
rippingviper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Its just unfortunate thats all. I didn't want any sympathy , I was just curious about what others thought on the issue. I just wish I had some warning that a product was coming out when I bought this one so I could hold off. I was checking forums all over and news if someone would change.. I thought I was safe this time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple never releases info ahead of time. Plus, anytime you buy something, it is likely usurped as top of the line shortly thereafter. It's how business works.

But, if your machine still does what you want and does it well, you did okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
1. Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. If the pricing drops within 2 weeks of your purchase they will refund the difference or offer an exchange with no hassles.

2. All computer companies do exactly the same thing, not just Apple. Dell does exactly the same thing. For whatever reason, though, Apple hardware events are highly publicized whereas other computer manufacturers hardware updates are virtually unnoticed by the average consumer. Dell users typically don't go back online a month later to check on the latest pricing of a comparable machine.

3. Auto companies also do the same thing. Buy a 2009 automobile now for the best possible price and then go back in 6 months and see what pricing you'll get. Once the 2010's hit the lot, the remaining 2009's drop several thousand dollars for exactly the same vehicle.

4. The Sony LCD TV I paid $2500 for a year ago is now $999 and occasionally shows up on sale for $899! And at the time, I thought it was a great deal, because I had been wanting it since it first came out at $6000.

5. This happens to a lot of Mac users once (including me). But now you know--check around online before making a purchase and see what the rumors are. The week before the WWDC is probably not the best time to make an Apple purchase. The same with the MacWorld. Hardware updates are often released at those events.

OP
rippingviper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh it still does what I want, but it could be doing it better! At the same price. The car industry isn't the same actually either. I work for gm and the same stuff is still being sold , actually worse is being sold IMO . 2004 and up seem to be getting crappier quality as they are trying to build vehicles Cheaper

Apple never releases info ahead of time. Plus, anytime you buy something, it is likely usurped as top of the line shortly thereafter. It's how business works.

But, if your machine still does what you want and does it well, you did okay.

Reaction score
1. Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. If the pricing drops within 2 weeks of your purchase they will refund the difference or offer an exchange with no hassles.

2. All computer companies do exactly the same thing, not just Apple. Dell does exactly the same thing. For whatever reason, though, Apple hardware events are highly publicized whereas other computer manufacturers hardware updates are virtually unnoticed by the average consumer. Dell users typically don't go back online a month later to check on the latest pricing of a comparable machine.

3. Auto companies also do the same thing. Buy a 2009 automobile now for the best possible price and then go back in 6 months and see what pricing you'll get. Once the 2010's hit the lot, the remaining 2009's drop several thousand dollars for exactly the same vehicle.

4. The Sony LCD TV I paid $2500 for a year ago is now $999 and occasionally shows up on sale for $899! And at the time, I thought it was a great deal, because I had been wanting it since it first came out at $6000.

5. This happens to a lot of Mac users once (including me). But now you know--check around online before making a purchase and see what the rumors are. The week before the WWDC is probably not the best time to make an Apple purchase. The same with the MacWorld. Hardware updates are often released at those events.

@2

That is so true. Nobody keeps checking when it comes to other computer companies to see what models change and stuff, Apple just publicizes the stuff to better stimulate their demand and to keep current and future stockholders interested. It's also because consumables that are regularly updated depreciate over time. Prime example, the iPhone 3G is now being sold for $99 when it was sold for $199 up until a few weeks ago.

I know how the guy feels though and this happened to me just after I bought my iPod in 2007. Apple came out with new iPods weeks after I bought my iPod and I was furious. If you want to stay in the loop then check out MacRumors.com. Also, generally Apple updates the Macbooks twice a year, in early/late spring (Feb-June) and in the early/late fall (October-November). If you need a computer close to these dates, and you know you'll kick yourself if the price drops a week after you buy it, then just wait it out, but don't wait forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
I try to only purchase Apple products around the time that the new models are announced since it's such a big investment.
Just yesterday I decided to go ahead and order a new macbook pro. I told myself that I should wait until the new Pro line is announced or until Snow Leopard was released. Well, the new Pro line is out and I will be able to upgrade to Snow Leopard for 9.99 when available.
I've been a year removed from the mac world so I can't wait for it to arrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
I purchased my uniMB from the refurb store on April 8th. I called to see if there was anything I could do about returning it the day the new MBPs were announced (and the refurb uniMBs dropped to $949). I was out of the return limit, but they did issue a $100 credit to my credit card. I really didn't expect anything, and they totally did not have to do anything, but just thought I'd call and see what would happen, and I was pleasantly surprised. My suggestion is to give them a call, explain what you explained here, be VERY nice and see what happens!

OP
rippingviper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just called them they said no price protection as of last Monday I guess I shouldve checked sooner oh well. I'm still really happy to have it just wish I couldve had that extra bit of cash to buy my extra 2 gigs of ram lol. Snooze ya lose situation.

I purchased my uniMB from the refurb store on April 8th. I called to see if there was anything I could do about returning it the day the new MBPs were announced (and the refurb uniMBs dropped to $949). I was out of the return limit, but they did issue a $100 credit to my credit card. I really didn't expect anything, and they totally did not have to do anything, but just thought I'd call and see what would happen, and I was pleasantly surprised. My suggestion is to give them a call, explain what you explained here, be VERY nice and see what happens!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.8GHz 4GB RAM 500GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
I bought the unibody Macbook in March for 1299 only for it to be replaced in June by a better, faster model with backlit keyboard and SD card slot for 100 less. I ended up getting the top of the line 15" MBP and sold the Macbook at a loss for about $850 on ebay. Life sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When I first went Apple I did so by buying one of the first or second gen Minis. Three months later they refreshed it with a faster processor, included wifi, and defaulted it to more RAM/HD in the base model.

Oh well.

When I bought my iPod 5th gen Video shortly afterward Apple refreshed it with a 5.5 version.

Oh well.

When I bought my Macbooks Apple refreshed them shortly after with bigger HDs, LED screens, faster processors, more RAM (and more total capacity; mine only could take 3 gig.)

Oh well.

When I bought my iPhone 3G Apple came out one month later with the 3GS, voice dialing, video, and other goodies. I have a 3G with a two year AT&T contract.

Oh well.

The only Apple product really I got in front of the improvement wave would be this 13" MBP which I bought right after WWDC and the announcements of the new MBP line up.

Ah yeah!

It's one of those things where it just happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.