Just found and iMac G4...

dae

Reaction score
So one of my neighbors just put a iMac G4 out with a sign on it saying "good for parts". I was curious if their are any good hacks/modes I can do with it?

The ram was still attached same with the logic board. Airport was pulled and the optical drive is in bad shape. Always wanted one of these, I have built up my Gigabit Ethernet and am on the tall end of upgrading that machine. It would be awesome for this to be a new project.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
iMac G4

I was curious if their are any good hacks/modes I can do with it? The ram was still attached same with the logic board. It would be awesome for this to be a new project.

First advice is to avoid using the term "hack" on this forum. It upsets the moderators ;D.

Second, get Mactracker (free) Mactracker to see what adjustments, modifications and upgrades you can do with that G4. Another resource is Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996 or Accelerate Your Macintosh! News Page - 6/29/09.

OP
D

dae

Reaction score
well does anyone know a good mode for this iMac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you saying Mod? If so there is not a lot you can do with the Lampshade iMac G4's. Max out the RAM, larger hard drive.

And a Hardware Hack on a old iMac is not against forum rules. Not that I know of.

OP
D

dae

Reaction score
sorry type o, Ya I wanted to know if there is a way to hook the screen up to another computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.