Stripped Screws + Replace CD Drive?

Reaction score
So I'm new to this forum thing...but I have two questions that I couldn't find specific answers to while browsing mac forums....

1) I have two stripped screws on the body of my MBP. I replaced my LCD screen a few days ago, and must have stripped them while putting the body back together. My computer is WAYYYY out of warranty, but has anyone had any success with going to Apple store and asking them to remove the screws reallly nicely? I've tried pretty much everything else with no success and am wary about drilling into the screws to remove them myself. I already have replacement screws.

2) Has anyone here upgraded/replaced their CD drive? I dropped my computer on that corner two years ago (when I was a dumb college freshman and didn't appreciate my computer enough :) ) and bent that corner and apparently screwed up my CD drive....it doesn't read CDs well at all...and it's pretty much hopeless if they've been burned. Anyone know where I can buy one for relatively cheap/had any success with this?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm fairly certain the technicians at your local Apple store aren't going to remove those screws for free. I suggest checking at your local Home Depot or Lowes store for a stripped screw removal tool set. They sell them for around $10 to $15 and they work very nicely to remove a stripped screw. You just need to make sure you buy a set that has the right size taps - especially for small screws.

As for the CD drive, don't bother with swapping it. You're probably better off purchasing an external USB or Firewire Superdrive. You can get one at Best Buy or Wal-Mart for a lot less than an internal replacement model.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.