Apple's free replacement for White MacBooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Since Apple acknowledged that the White MacBooks were prone to cracking, they'll replace the hand rest area for free. My question is: Does that or can it include the trackpad? My cursor is jumpy and I think it might be defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since it would seem you are due for a free hand rest replacement anyway, why not take it to Apple and ask about the problem while yer at it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
when they replace the palmrest that includes keyboard and touchpad due to the fact that they are attached with melted plastic to fasten it. so yes.

also i have heard about this replacement but i am wondering if they will do this on one no longer under applecare. also will they cover the bezel and bottom casing. mine was so bad that it started with the bottom casing(the hinge was slightly misaligned so it did not hit the weak spot. then the bezel cracked right above the groove, then the palmrest got a chip in it last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
My upper case assy was just replaced by apple a month ago. My computer was out of warranty. The Apple tech called it a warranty extension on the case since it is prone to cracking. I took 2 days for my computer to be repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yes the keyboard and trackpad is replaced when the palmrest area is replaced. They also will replace the bottom casing if it is cracking now. Before the bottom casing wasn't covered under warranty.

As for replacing when you are out of warranty, you should give them a call and ask.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are the chances they'll have a hand rest part to replace that day? Is it common or will I have to leave it for a few days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are the chances they'll have a hand rest part to replace that day? Is it common or will I have to leave it for a few days?

Again you will have to call the store and ask. Some have it in stock and others may not. I had to wait a day because the part was not in stock. Another time I only had to wait about 30 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz
My MacBook cracked a couple of weeks ago, it was my first experience with repairs at Apple - they replaced the bottom case, the keyboard, palmrest, trackpad and of course the bottom case. In a day.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it includes a new keyboard, does that mean it'll fix the Caps Lock Key, which seems to stick all the time? I read somewhere that it was done so on purpose as part of the design, but it's a pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
this is great information thank you all.

I will call and find out too since there is a crack at the armrest and the border around the screen at the top

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last question: Are you guys sure my crack will qualify for this free repair? My crack is just along the edge of the wrist area facing up where you don't often see hairline cracks (hairline cracks are mostly on the glossy lid or side). The wrist area is made of a different material.

I just want to make sure it's OK before I make the trek to the Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Last question: Are you guys sure my crack will qualify for this free repair? My crack is just along the edge of the wrist area facing up where you don't often see hairline cracks (hairline cracks are mostly on the glossy lid or side). The wrist area is made of a different material.

I'm sure my computer with the crack in the palm rest was repaired about a month ago. My warranty was expired. I dropped it off on a Thursday and it was ready on Saturday. The tech told me that Apple was granting warranty extensions (case only) for the MacBooks with cracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That is exactly where my crack was and it got replaced. Good luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it fixed yesterday, only took 20 minutes.

Reaction score
Hi, my white Macbook cracked also on both sides (bottom right & bottom left), and will have to have the keyboard replaced. I am still under Applecare, but I was wondering whether I could replace my current keyboard (white) with another more resistant compatible one (I would be willing to pay for the 'upgrade'). Since they are 'prone' to cracking, I would find it a bother to have to send it in again in a few months time for the same problem. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to how to avoid it cracking again? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's something you need to discuss with your local Apple service center. I'm guessing that they will only replace parts with original ones.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, my white Macbook cracked also on both sides (bottom right & bottom left), and will have to have the keyboard replaced. I am still under Applecare, but I was wondering whether I could replace my current keyboard (white) with another more resistant compatible one (I would be willing to pay for the 'upgrade'). Since they are 'prone' to cracking, I would find it a bother to have to send it in again in a few months time for the same problem. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions in regard to how to avoid it cracking again? Thank you.

I don't think there is a more resistant one you can upgrade to. I have been fine with my new palm rest and no more cracking. Maybe Apple is already replacing it with more stronger plastic when they swap it out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.