15" Unibody Macbook Pro Keeps Freezing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Okay, so I've had a late-2007 model 15" Macbook Pro for a long time. Never had a single problem. That thing was a workhorse, and no matter what I threw at it, it never flinched.

I finally decided that I wanted the new unibody variety, so I sold the MBP above and got one of the new 15" models a few months ago (removable-battery) and had Apple upgrade it to 4GB before sending it to me.

Initially it performed great, but in the past 2 - 3 weeks, I literally cannot go 5 minutes without the thing freezing up on me. Everything locks up, and I end up having to hold in the power button to get it to reboot. I even tried re-installing OS X in case I had some wonky driver that was screwing it up, but to no avail. It still locks up. Every now and then, it'll go for a few hours; but other times I'll just be browsing the net, or watching a DVD and.... FREEZE.

All system updates have been run. I have no third-party hardware drivers currently enabled. I tried swapping the position of the RAM chips... but I doubt it is the RAM since when I bootcamp into Windows, it runs fine and never locks up.

Any ideas what might be happening?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you still have the original RAM? I would try swapping them and see if it still freezes on you.

If the problem still continues then I would bring it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it.

OP
fyreous
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Do you still have the original RAM? I would try swapping them and see if it still freezes on you.

If the problem still continues then I would bring it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it.

The RAM in it now is the original RAM - so I guess my next step is taking it to Apple.

OP
fyreous
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Just thought I would give an update - apparently the Hard Drive had some corrupted sectors and it just so happened to be the spot that some system files were stored. The system would freeze every time the Hard Drive tried to access that section of itself.

New hard drive - problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.