iMac G3 logic board replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 DV Summer 2000 400mhz Ruby :)
I'm new here, but I have always found this forum quite helpful.;D

My iMac's (400mhz, summer 2000) logic board has failed (I did find the damage) and it needs replacement. The machine no longer boots. I have found relacements, but I was running OS X 10.4.11. The replacements on eBay probably don't have the firmware update needed for OS X, so what am I to do? And I bought the iMac with 10.4 already installed, no disks, if that makes my situation any more miserable.

Does anyone know what I can do to get my iMac running again?

OP
natey787
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 DV Summer 2000 400mhz Ruby :)
Let me clarify things. I have OS X 10.4.11 installed on the hard drive, which is unaffected.

I can easily replace the logic board, but I'm afraid that the replacement won't have firmware update 4.1.9. Would it be ok to start running the machine into 10.4.11 without the update, or would that cause problems? Should I get OS 9.2., and boot from that right after I install the new board, then install it over Tiger, and update, then install Tiger over OS 9?

Reaction score
You should double-check with the seller before making any assumptions regarding the firmware. If you do need to update the firmware, I would suggest booting from an external drive (via FireWire) that has Mac OS 9.

Reaction score
Most of the firmware actually resides on the hard drive. Just to be safe I would not run Ten on the new board. The video chip is set up for PPC and the Unix code is what can burn it up. You can boot in 8.6 or 9. Put the firmware update on a thumb drive as see if you can install it from there. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.