MBP 13" Upgrade Question

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased my first Mac "Mid 2009 13" MBP" and I'm quite fond of it. I am looking to put some upgrades into it already, but would like some advice from the more knowledgeably and experienced.

Im a little confused with the x32 bit x84 bit mumbo jumbo, I know that a 32 bit will only detect up to 2 gigs of Ram though. This doesn't apply to my mbp because I saw them advertising up to 8 gigs of RAM?

Also, If I buy and 2GB stick along with a 4GB would it be worth it? I have heard if you don't buy matching sticks it can inhibit the performance.

Here are the items Im looking to purchase.

320GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 7200RPM SA... (0A57547) at OWC

4.0GB (2x2.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3 1066MHz... (8566DDR3S4GP) at OWC

Feel free to critique and recommend other products.

Regards,

DeadGlory

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks, I purchased both... Now i have to find a correct tutorial on how to bring all my data from the factory one to the one I just purchased. Also will I need to re install the OS? When I purchased this Mac it didn't come with OSX install disks???

Regards,

Jeff

OP
D
Reaction score
Will this cable be needed for the swap? or can I just use my 350 external passport for the HD swap?

Regards,

DeadGlory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
the easier way is to use CarbonCopyCloner but it can also be done in the operating system. you can do it the way a standard user will do it by copying the data you need to an external hdd and reinstall the OS.

OP
D
Reaction score
the easier way is to use CarbonCopyCloner but it can also be done in the operating system. you can do it the way a standard user will do it by copying the data you need to an external hdd and reinstall the OS.

The install disks weren't included with my MBP, so this doesn't look like a viable option to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.