Screwed up my new iMac trying to install XP

Reaction score
Screwed up my new MAC trying to install Windows XP

My brand new iMac is screwed up. Short version: I should have printed out the directions in BootCamp. It was late. It is a genuine XP disk that came with my Dell. I'll have to double check later to see if it is the SP2 version. Crap.

I can do 3 things:

1. Turn on the Mac with no CD. It goes to a black and white DOS like screen asking for a boot disk and press any key. The keyboard doesn't work.

2. Turn it on with XP CD in. It goes back into the XP installation that I already did.

3. Turn it on with Mac OS X CD in. It goes into the installation program. No destination volumes are listed. Under disk utilities, the hard drive is there, but it won't let me erase/format/first aid or verify it.

CRAP!!!!!!!!

OP
F
Reaction score
Nevermind. I reformatted to HFS+ through the console in the Mac OS X setup program. Nice. I'll be printing out the directions to install XP next time.

Reaction score
You cannot install Boot Camp with a Dell OEM disk. You will need to purchase a new retail version or a System Builder's OEM version. You'll read this post when your next attempt to install runs into problems ... :) Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.