Unable to Download Anything From The Internet

D

digimon

For about a week now i have not been able to download anything from the internet. About a week ago I was trying to down load some software (shareware) and I may have pickup something along with it that has not allowed me to download anything since.

What is happening is when I try to download something it will just keep going back to the download page without downloading anything. I got a caution from the Apple upgrade site that said that something may be interscepting the info. Nothing else seems to be affected.

I am running OS 10.3.8 G4 Duel 500 with 768MB Ram. I am using Mozilla for my browser on a Cable Modem.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You might want to try a different browser. But that won't seem to solve the problem, thinking. Could your ISP be the culprit? You are able to surf the Internet fully, right?

OP
D

digimon

I tried using IE, Safari and Firefox and was only able to down load from IE. Yes I can Surf at will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you on a firewall router?

OP
D

digimon

"iWhat"
Thanks I checked the other tread out. I tried some of the remedies but all as of yet. I am hesitant to delete these things as Macman has said to do as it seems when I do things like this and am unsure as to what they do I loose my whole internet setup and then loose all my bookmarks and stored emails. Then I have to start all over again. Do you know if this will affect my setup?

Macman Wrote:
have you tried deleteing this preference:com.apple.internetconfig.plist? or com.apple.internetconnect.plist? or have you tried control+clicking and selecting download linked file as or whatever and see if that works? what sort of connection are you using? can we get a screenshot of your network preferences windows? under the tab you use to connect ie tcp/ip, pppoe, appletalk, ethernet, etc?

"witeshark"
I am running a Linksys 2.4Gz 54 but I am hard wired to it. I also have a PC user in the house and it has a wireless hookup. I use an Airport for my Powerbook. The G4 desktop is the only one affected

I have been using this setup for 3 years with no problem and this is just happened in the last 2 weeks.

Please I can't stand having to use IE as it is not affected by this problem. Mozilla and Firefox are my favs. I have down loaded a new Mozilla thru IE but the problem is still there.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The files that are recommended to be deleted won't effect anything that you are concerned about. If you delete them, your mac will just make another of the same files the next time that you launch System Prefs for you internet settings.

OP
D

digimon

So I have deleted (com.apple.internetconfig.plist) and still no go. I also ran "onyx" everywhich way. It found a problem in OS 9. I think that it fixed it. No other issues. IE is still working small favors.

OP
K

kabwon

delete all your browsers and reinstall, just make sure you download it before u delete it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.