• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon HG21 / AVCHD import into FCP in progressive mode?

Reaction score
i own a Canon HG21 camcorder (PAL) that does AVCHD and can record 25progressive.
when i set it to do so and then import it into FCP using the log and transfer with apple prores 422, and then set my sequence to Prores 422 progressive, it asks me to change the sequence settings to Prores 422 interlaced. (or so i think because the sequence "settings/advanced" it then show interlaced with even field first which surprises me.)

Is it normal that Prores makes it an interlaced video?
How can i check the original AVCHD format?
what am i missing?
help :)

regards,
k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, I wonder how the progressive ingest would work - you may have to set the sequence to 25p progressive, and the import format as interlaced as the specs state that it records the progressive frames at the 60i rate, so I'll bet FCP is seeing the footage as 60i. I don't think I've noticed a consumer camera that records progressive in true progressive rather then progressive frames in 60i (which confuses me a bit anyway ;) )

So suggestion 1:

Set sequence to 25p, log and transfer at 60i - hopefully it will render out correctly.

Suggestion 2:
According to the specs, it appears that camera came with a "solutions disk" for both Mac and PC - you may want to see if there is a converter in there that will take the 25p footage out and put it in a properly marked file (instead of 25p within 60i)

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for your reply nethfel!

solution 2: no, the software is only for PC.

solution 1: yes ... i guess that's what i'll have to do. (but in 50i because i'm in PAL)

I found some docs about the HG21 that says:

25p Progressive Mode
This is a unique feature that only Canon offers in the consumer camcorder market*. You would otherwise have to look to professional video cameras in order to have this sophisticated tool at your command. In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 50i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HG21 to capture video in 25p (25 progressive frames, recorded at 50i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording. It's also excellent for action shots and sports.

I don't understand how 25 progressive can be recorded in an interlaced format ... either it's interlaced or it's progressive, no? what am i missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
To be honest - that's the same style of specs on my camera (well, 24p on 60i) and it makes no sense to me either. I have no idea how it can be done as the way I grasp it, the two formats are very different.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.