Snow Leopard kernal on current Leopard install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I got my hands on a copy Snow Leopard, and have a interesting question: Could I replace my current Leopard kernel with the one in Snow Leopard? Ive tried with no success: Darwin version is still 9.7.0, which I think was my Leopard version. The match_kernal file did change (was like 8mb, know is like 17, same as Leopard Server).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would highly highly recommend against doing that. That can spell disaster very quickly as all kernel modules on that machine would have been compile for Darwin 9, not Darwin 10. There is a good chance that hardware will begin to cease working or worse, your computer won't boot. If you replace a kernel, for instance in Linux, you have to recompile the modules as well so everything is built for the same version. I would highly suggest you heed this advice and restore any system files on your Leopard install that you replaced with files from your SL install.

OP
A
Reaction score
I would also recommend not doing it, but, since I have a close backup, I did it. Anyways: result 0. I have not seen any trouble so far thou so I'll keep the SL kernel for know. Worst case is I re-install the system and restore the users and prefs only. If I run into any trouble I'll report back.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm pretty sure just copying files over doesn't constitute replacing the kernel. You may replace a few files but the kernel consists of various files working in unison. This includes kernel modules and unless those where rebuilt, you could very well be running some sort of hybrid system at the core. It would be very hard to completely run a system where you have a Snow Leopard kernel and a Leopard userland. There would be conflicts abound.

I can also imagine files were renamed over moved - I find it very hard to believe that all operating system calls remained the same. If they did, there would be very little difference - too little to justify a new major version. As much as I think it might be interesting to try (I love tinkering), I get the feeling you aren't running an SL kernel. Exactly what files did you copy?

Someone with more intimate knowledge of XNU (not Darwin, that is my mistake) will be better able to explicate the problems associated with such an undertaking.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Copying the another kernel over the existing kernel does not activate it. You must reboot the system to see the new kernel. I that is when you will see the problems.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Copying the another kernel over the existing kernel does not activate it. You must reboot the system to see the new kernel. I that is when you will see the problems.
This is very true. Copying over an old kernel does not change your running kernel on-the-fly because the original kernel is loaded into memory. Have you rebooted the machine?

OP
A
Reaction score
Obviously. I did reboot. No issues.
Agreed, I don't think I got a full kernel at all. Only copied match_kernel. Probably missed out half the stuff:p.
I have only noticed one thing out of place, the firewall went nuts (can't even connect to the local server). I'm going to try going back to the old kernel, I'll report back soon (maybe tomorrow if my dad kicks me off the computer).
Note: I'm DST -3.

OP
A
Reaction score
Rebooted...OK. Know lets try the stuff. WIERD, still not connecting. Wierdest of all, I'm getting the dammed "Self Assigned IP", so Fierwall still shot. I'll fully restore to a backup and tomorrow I'll se whats up.

OP
A
Reaction score
In my opinion, your right, the combination of SL and LS (the short names are weird together) userland and kernal is not going to work. Too bad, would be cool to just copy a few files and get all cool code work in LS.

OP
A
Reaction score
New idea: installing the "BaseSystem.pkg" from SL, and the rest (being careful not to replace half of the files) from Leopard Server?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off, and I should have asked this earlier, where did you get the SL disc from?

I'm all for tinkering but this spells nothing but disaster. Mixing and matching components integral to the OS can only spell doom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
He did not say he got the disc. Pirates have it everywhere alas!

OP
A
Reaction score
I got SL from a apple store (actually apple service representative) around my house. I spend some time in the store, talking and stuff, and one day he told me that he got SL from apple (I guess he is a dev), so I asked him for a me a copy.
I know, thats where the fun is. If there is no problems, there is nothing to solve, so we would still be back in the 60's. At least thats how I see it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, I have a copy. So you could say It's "illegal" but I don't see it that way:
1) It is not pirated.
2) Im not uploading it anywhere, just using it for stuff like this.
Plus, I'm pretty sure that even if I wanted to register to be a apple dev, I couldn't (dammed age).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I fail to see what the purpose of this is. What do you intend to achieve with this tinkering?

OP
A
Reaction score
Entertainment, learning how things work etc. And maybe some cool discovery, but I doubt it.

OP
A
Reaction score
My basic idea behind it is that SL is mainly core changes, so why not replace my current Leopard core with SL. Going back to my previous post, What about using the SL base system package only? And building on that with Leopard components?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are also non-core changes as well. Truthfully, trying to undertake this without any negative consequences and any noticeable changes isn't likely to happen.

OP
A
Reaction score
I know that much. I have noticed some minor GUI changes (haven't looked any farther), but I don't care about that.
The good part is any problems that arise, because as said before I like challenges. But maybe this one is too big (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.