Which version of Windows to use with boot camp would you recommend?

Reaction score
I've been a PC user my whole life but after using my friends Mac i just couldn't say no to one of the new 13-inch MacBook Pro's.

There seems to be lots of discussion on XP vs Vista on boot camp and was wondering which will be the best to use on a new 13" MBP with 2.5GHz 4GB ram?. I am a product design so will be using the laptop for Adobe suite, SolidWorks and rendering software. So i was hoping to use windows 64 bit either way to get the most out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Well XP will use less resources running so maybe that's the best option to go with if you're running heavy programmes like Adobe. x64 is essential to get those 4GB's!!!

Reaction score
I would recommend waiting till windows 7 goes live personally. Vista has so many flaws, that windows 7 gets rid of and is more reliable than Vista. XP will no longer get support Shortly after Windows 7 release. Vista, and Windows 7 will still get update supports. Windows 7 Also has better "legacy" support(it can load a XP shell for the older applications).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would recommend waiting till windows 7 goes live personally. Vista has so many flaws, that windows 7 gets rid of and is more reliable than Vista. XP will no longer get support Shortly after Windows 7 release. Vista, and Windows 7 will still get update supports. Windows 7 Also has better "legacy" support(it can load a XP shell for the older applications).

Where did you hear that XP will no longer be supported shortly after Windows 7 release? According to Microsoft, XP will continue to get support until 2014.

And in order to use Windows 7 XP Legacy support, you must use virtualization software. Go to the MS web page and read up on the various requirements.

Link

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
can you explain what you mean by...

32-bit versions of Windows can only support about 3GB of RAM, even if you have 4+ installed. Some of the memory space is allocated to the video card, so even though 32-bit can support up to 4, in reality it's usually less.

Reaction score
Where did you hear that XP will no longer be supported shortly after Windows 7 release? According to Microsoft, XP will continue to get support until 2014.

And in order to use Windows 7 XP Legacy support, you must use virtualization software. Go to the MS web page and read up on the various requirements.

Link

Regards.

i guess they got a lot of complaints about it and changed the date. When I last looked they said support would stop June next year for XP support.

At least MS is starting to listen to their consumers... FINALLY!

Reaction score
What they said was they would stop releasing updates initially in June of THIS YEAR, which they later extended a bit. They always planned to support XP for several years. By support they mean security fixes, and phone support for questions, etc. The installed corporate base of XP is too large to leave hanging - that was never even on the table.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.