I lost my Ps icon, and the program ...I think?

Reaction score
I know this souds really weird, but I can not find the Icon ( the blue Ps icon ) that was in the dock. The Mac is running OS X , and Photoshop CS3 . I was dragging some folders over into the trash , and my Icon made the little puff of smoke, and it was gone. I have checked in the applications menu, and all of the other stuff that is in the Photo shop file is there, but the actual program is gone. The help files, extra generic pic files, all of it, but the program itself is gone. I went just thinking I would go into the applications, pull up PS and drag the icon back into the dock, but no doce. My indesign and illustrator still work fine, and the PS app is not in the trash. I dont use PS all the time, but obviously, I want it back. I have used the spotlight, and it only pulls up the other things in the PS files, but not the app itself.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White - 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - 120GB HDD - GeForce 9400M - OS X 10.5.7
This might be a wild shot but the Photoshop app itself is inside a folder in your app folder, ill attach a pic to show you what i mean.
Open that folder and the Photoshop app should be in there!

Picture 1.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it doesn't show up in Spotlight, there is one searching method that should find it if it's still installed. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type the following commands:

1. sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb (enter an administrator password; this may take a while so be patient)
2. locate <name of photoshop app bundle> (I don't know what it's named, perhaps you remember or someone with PS CS3 can tell you)

For the locate command, if the app bundle is more than one word, you will have to put it in quotes or escape the spaces (if you don't know what this is, just put the name of the app bundle in quotes).

So, as an a example, you could do the following:
sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb <press return>
locate "Adobe Photoshop CS3.app" (this appears to be the name after doing some quick research) <press return>

If it doesn't come up here, it's probably gone as I've never seen anything escape locate's ability to find things.

OP
T
Reaction score
It pulled up alot of info, but all of it on illustrator... ( another adobe program ) , but nothing on PS. Why the **** would this happen, How could this have happened?

I can get the Adobe disc to re install it, but it is a good hour away with my sis- in- law.... guess thats my only option....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you search specifically for Photoshop? If you searched for the app bundle and it did not show up in the list, it is likely gone. You must have accidentally deleted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.