iPhoto - This Is How To Export ALL Photos Into Separate Folders Named As Events

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Hi guys,

I know most of you have been wishing this was possible, and now it is.

You will need to follow this guide and run a script.

macosxhints.com - Export iPhoto events into appropriate directory structure

I have been speaking to Thom the creator of the script to clarify a few things [as I am new to Unix] and it works perfectly fine.

Basically you will export all your photos into a folder, they will all be named as the event they were sorted in by iPhoto. You will run the script and it will create new folders named as each event and then sort all the photos into the correct folder.

I wish Apple would add this into the SW as std though.

:Cool:

Reaction score
hat happened to my events post upgrade?

Don't know if you can help but I am desperate. Last week I installed updates one of which I think was iphoto. When I opened iphoto up all of my events (months of work) had been dumped into one massive event for reasons best known to apple. Any ideas on how this can be rectified? My immediate action was to go to my backup but the laws of nature determined that the external drive is bust. Just not my week!
ANy ideas gratefully received, preferably in simple steps as am new to macs.
Thanks
Sue

Hi guys,

I know most of you have been wishing this was possible, and now it is.

You will need to follow this guide and run a script.

macosxhints.com - Export iPhoto events into appropriate directory structure

I have been speaking to Thom the creator of the script to clarify a few things [as I am new to Unix] and it works perfectly fine.

Basically you will export all your photos into a folder, they will all be named as the event they were sorted in by iPhoto. You will run the script and it will create new folders named as each event and then sort all the photos into the correct folder.

I wish Apple would add this into the SW as std though.

:Cool:

OP
chrismac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Sue - there will be a lot more knowledgeable guys than me on here and I am sure they will help.

Running an update should not have done this. I have cloned my drive twice and reinstalled my OS so have run many updates since and never had this happen.

Are you clicking on Photos or Events? As this is probably just a setting that has gone amiss.

Right click on a photo and click 'show file'. This will show you the files structure of your photos. You will either have folders by date [if imported via camera] or folders by whatever you named them [if you imported the actual folders - i.e. off a windows machine] If it is the latter then you could copy all the folders and paste them somewhere safe - delete all the existing photos in iPhoto - then reimport them which should automatically categorize them into Events.

If the above is not possible and you havent got a backup then the only way I can think of doing this is by painstakingly reorganizing your events, then do a backup.

How did you import your photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If the photos are indeed all in one large file (what Chrismac said -- Photos vs. Events), you could select all the photos and them have iPhoto creat events based on date. I'm not at the mac right now, so can't remember the method exactly, but look on the toolbar and click around and you'll find the right command. I have done this many times after I had initially put lots of photos into one event and later decided I wanted it broken down. At least if your photos get arranged by date, a lot of you re-organizing will be done for you.

Good luck!

Reaction score
An easier way to do this

Hi there!

I've actually had this very same issue, and I didn't want to pay for any solutions - so I created a quick free Applescript that does the work for you, based on the same idea without the need for Python or 'Linux' knowledge.

All you do is Open the App, point it to your iPhoto Library, tell it where to save the photos, and go get a cup of coffee. Your photos will be copied *(not moved) to the destination folder, completly sorted with Folder names by Event.

iPhoto: Export ALL Events to Folders

I know it's an older thread, but this really did help me sort my 2000 events into nice clean folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Air 2011 Mac OS Maverick 10.9.3
Hi there!

I've actually had this very same issue, and I didn't want to pay for any solutions - so I created a quick free Applescript that does the work for you, based on the same idea without the need for Python or 'Linux' knowledge.

All you do is Open the App, point it to your iPhoto Library, tell it where to save the photos, and go get a cup of coffee. Your photos will be copied *(not moved) to the destination folder, completly sorted with Folder names by Event.

iPhoto: Export ALL Events to Folders

I know it's an older thread, but this really did help me sort my 2000 events into nice clean folders.

l tried this one with two of my events in iPhoto with both the versions that are available, but only get this message. What do l do wrong??

Skjermbilde 2013-06-12 kl. 03.16.40.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.