iBook vs. Powerbook

H

HAL-9000

Hi, I'm a college student interested in switching to either an iBook or a Powerbook from my Windows desktop computer. I have read some reviews citing poor battery time on the Powerbook. I've also read that the iBook gets better wireless connection with the Airport card. Basically, I'm split between the two: the performance of the Powerbook and the cost of the iBook. Which would you suggest? I don't expect to be doing anything too intensive: some web design, office applications, music, and watching movies (maybe editing?). Also, Apple only has a 1 year warranty for the laptops. Why so short? I'm kind of nervous if they're only going to stand by their product for a year. Please offer your suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
there are already threads on this subject, do a search.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
For the usage you stated, either machine will be great. The battery life of the iBook will be somewhat longer than that of a PowerBook under the same conditions, so if you're looking for maximum battery life, the iBook might appeal to you more.

As for wireless reception, the problems that some owners reported were with previous PowerBook models, not the current line, so that isn't really a current concern (although from my own experience and reading the feedback from others, the iBook's reception is extremely good, and perhaps still a bit better than the PowerBook).

I haven't purchased a non-Apple computer in a number of years (so I don't have a reference of what other manufacturers provide), but Apple's 1 year warranty doesn't strike me as terrible, and it certainly wouldn't scare me off or make me think that the company doesn't have faith in the quality of it's products. Apple also offers something called AppleCare, which allows you to extend warranty coverage an additional 2 years for an additional fee.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.