Accessing network shares

Reaction score
I am sitting at home with my lovely new MacBook Pro. On my home network there are also a windows desktop and a windows laptop. I want to access some files on a shared drive of the Windows desktop. When, on my MacBook I go to Finder>Go>Connect to Server and put in either the IP address or the network name of the Windows desktop the Mac tells me that the the server may not exist. When I on the Windows laptop I go to Explorer>My network places, etc etc I see the desktop. From the Windows laptop I can VNC to the Windows desktop. From the Mac I can't even VNC to it. I have a few days ago accessed the desktop from my Mac, and its network name is still in the left-hand pane of Finder, but it won't access it today. I bought a Mac because I hoped it would be better than Windows, and I would get away from this 'yesterday it worked, today it doesn't' syndrome. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.