Can Macs get spyware, viruses, etc?

Reaction score
While searching for a recipe on my Mac I came across this really sketchy website. It was a website and it was trying to pretend I was downloading something. Then a popup screen said that the file is infected and that I need to download their anti virus program to get rid of it. And to download the anti virus from the website , I had to press Okay. I just exited out of the window without pressing anything. With that, I am a little worried that maybe I have a virus or maybe a spyware installed on the computer. (Even though I did not press anything) Im pretty new with Macs so I know if I was still on Windows I would be crapping my pants.

I was reading around online and heard that the only way to get a virus or spyware is that I need to install it. I heard that the password protection on the Mac OS prevents random programs trying to install onto your computer without you knowing. (Password protection thing I am talking about is how you have to type in your password when you want to install downloaded items off the internet...dont really know the exact name of it)

Can anyone clarify or give me some type of advice on what to do? Im a little worried

I scanned my computer with ClamXav (heard it was good for finding stuff on the Mac) and it found a fakealert cache in my Firefox directory. (it is probably the fakealert from what I was describing earlier. )

I then cleared my cache, cookies, etc. in my firefox and re-scanned my computer with ClamXav and now it says it did not find any harmful stuff on my computer. (Im assuming that when I cleared my cache,cookies, etc. with firefox, it got rid of that fakealert garbage)

Im a little worried on what I should do next. Do you think im safe? Or should I buy some anti virus software or is there any good software out there that I can download? Please help. Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are you looking for recipes? I don't associate recipes with spyware/adware. Were you perhaps looking for spam recipes? :p

Let me ask you this, did the window that asked you to download AV software look like a Windows application?

If you didn't agree to anything, then you didn't get anything. Spyware/adware is usually installed by people who unknowingly install and click on things that they shouldn't. If you didn't click anything, you're fine. This is on top of the scarcity of any malware for Macs to begin with. The lesson to come out of this though is to be conscious of the links you click on. If something looks like it could be leading somewhere sketchy, look at the link in the status bar when you hover over it. Does the link look like it leads to what you want it to? Now, this is not a foolproof way of protecting yourself but you may at least stop yourself from following some inappropriate links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
S
Reaction score
Where are you looking for recipes? I don't associate recipes with spyware/adware. Were you perhaps looking for spam recipes? :p

Let me ask you this, did the window that asked you to download AV software look like a Windows application?

If you didn't agree to anything, then you didn't get anything. Spyware/adware is usually installed by people who unknowingly install and click on things that they shouldn't. If you didn't click anything, you're fine. This is on top of the scarcity of any malware for Macs to begin with. The lesson to come out of this though is to be conscious of the links you click on. If something looks like it could be leading somewhere sketchy, look at the link in the status bar when you hover over it. Does the link look like it leads to what you want it to? Now, this is not a foolproof way of protecting yourself but you may at least stop yourself from following some inappropriate links.

Yeah, the "fake downloading" showed downloading on a Windows machine, like I saw a C drive, and my computer, etc

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides the C drive (OSX does not use drive letters) those fake scanners are usually scanning .DLL's and the Windows Registry which OSX does not have any of those things.

You are safe.

OP
S
Reaction score
So pretty much, if I didnt enter my password or anything then I should be fine right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In my case on line daily for last 4 to 5 years and have yet to jump thru any hoops for Malware, of any sort - i am just careful what i download, read up reviews first and avoid anything that smells of bogus. In all on-line shopping & banking i have done i am real cagey about who i give info to and never email account details or credit card.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So pretty much, if I didnt enter my password or anything then I should be fine right?
Much like dtravis7 said, it was "supposedly" scanning directories it assumed existed on your computer (odds are that the user is a Windows user) that don't. The equivalent of the "C:" drive on a Mac is "/", which isn't even close.

You're being a little paranoid (not necessarily a bad thing if it's only a little) - you're fine. You didn't agree to download anything and even if you did, it would have most likely installed malware written for Windows which wouldn't have worked because of the vast differences between OS X and Windows. That is unless it was written in something like Java but I have never heard of malware written in Java.

OP
S
Reaction score
The downloader wasnt an actual downloader at all. It was just a website that had a webpage that looked like it was downloading. Nothing actually was in my download files in the Firefox directory.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming if you can. I am taking all replies into consideration.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The best I've heard it put, was something to the effect of, When you somehow end up at a site doing an online scan like that, it's a scam 11 out of 10 times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Just keep in mind that nothing can be downloaded onto your Mac unless you authorize it by entering you name and password in the Authorization pop up menu. If you don't recognize it, didn't download it, or don't trust it, just get rid of it.

Reaction score
Macs OS runs on top of a Unix, like Windows use to run on top of DOS. Macs are susceptible to the same viruses that attack Unix systems. Although there are several layers of security built into the Mac, theoretically they are subject to spyware/viruses/worms, etc. There are a lot more Windows PC's out there then there are Macs so most viruses are written for Windows systems. As more people are buying Macs, we can expect to see more malicious software being written to attack Macs and, believe me, it is possible, it's just a matter of time. I've been using my Mac for several years now, have not had a virus as yet. Viruses can be disguised to appear as legitimate software in which case you would be more likely to enter your username and password and allow the virus to be installed, so beware.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No one here is saying it's not possible. Just so far nothing and if one is even the least bit careful, very unlikely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.