Need Help With G-3

Reaction score
Hello, I need help getting my G3 to hookup to internet, as this is my first experience with an apple comp. I just expected it to be recognized on my network through my D Link Router by plugging it in, and i thought it would recognize the network, like my laptop does.
Can someone who knows about these g3 (Its blue) HELP me?
THANKS DANIEL

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How is your network setup? I'm going to assume that if you expected it to simply be setup, it's DHCP (this is most likely the case). What version of OS X are you running? Are you sure the network card works?

OP
D
Reaction score
imac g3

Yes it would be DHCP , and it has os 9,1, I dont even know where or if it has a network card? How do i tell if it has one? Thanks Daniel

Reaction score
I am on tiger on my imac g3 but I have used panther and jaguar...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you were able to plug in your network cable, you have a network card ;). Unfortunately, I can't help you with this one. Someone with more pre-OS X Mac knowledge is going to have to walk you through troubleshooting this one.

The only thing I can ask is this - when you plug in the network cable, does the network port light up or does a light near it light up?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Click on the Apple in the Top Left corner of the screen. Click on Control Panel. Then on TCP/IP. When that screen comes up look for a drop down menu and select Ethernet. On the Configure tab select DHCP or Using DHCP Server.

When you close the window be sure to click Save Settings. That should get the internet working at least. Plug it into a port on your router and give it time for it to get it's IP Address from the router. Some older Macs with OS9 I have worked with take a bit to get the IP.

If you need more help be sure to ask and let us know if this helps.

Reaction score
Make shure Appletalk is on. The ethernet port is right next to the USB ports.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
AppleTalk really is for networking with other Macs. The Internet does not use AppleTalk. I usually do set it on though since I have a lot of old Macs.

Reaction score
The guy said he was useing a network, he may have to run throw a hub.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.