Photoshop: adding text boxes?

E

EvoMac

I was wondering if there was a way to quickly add text boxes to a photoshop picture. Something similar to say a comic book. Any input would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
As far as I know there's no 'quick' way to do it, for stuff like that you should use Adobe InDesign or Quark Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
click-drag out w/Text Tool....makes shape similar to address bar to type in. Maybe double-click in a spot to make it appear...Sorry I usually don't do my type in Photoshop :)

OP
E

EvoMac

Overall suggestion would be to use the graphic in inDesign or Quark to make the chat boxes then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
a. type should not be done in photoshop, rather in indesign or quark, or maybe, in the MOST desperate situations, pagemaker.
b. if you mean that little bubble shaped thing, try usning illustrator, its perfect for that sort of stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Why should type not be done in Photoshop? It can do it and it's very good at. Sure it's not as good as regular "type" programs, but Photoshop does an excellent job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
vector versus raster.... Better handling of kerning/leading with individual spacing in say Illustrator than Photoshop. I'd get martyred in typography for creating in Photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use both - Illustrator for layout, type, and text and Photoshop for images and touchup. There've been many advances in both PS and Illustrator but the latter still handles typography better. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely, but it's when and how you are going to use it. If you are just creating a web graphic, then Photoshop is more than sufficient, you can control kerning, leading, character width, etc etc all in Photoshop... Now if I was going to go get something printed using a nice big press, then no way would I use Photoshop. Photoshop does do vector now also fyi :)

So if it's web stuff then I don't agree with you, but if it's for print then I definitely agree and I guess it comes down to what the guy is needing it for. if it's an online comic book, then by all means use Photoshop for it all, otherwise if you are going to get it printed on a Heidelberg (sp?) then do it in a desktop publishing app.

Sorry I took graphics design in college, learned offset printing and have worked with both print and the web since 1995 plus all the tools, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, etc etc since that time also. Just a little background on myself to show that I have a bit of experience :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
same here...I graduated more in print design than web so I guess I'm biased. I sent more to an offset printer (Heidelberg*you spelled it right* when we can find one) than handle type for the web. If he's doing web I agree that Photoshop well be sufficient. I'm a stickler for type (My type teacher was a slavedriver):)

BTW: was vector added in PS CS? Have fully explored it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EXACTLY. rasterized type really sucks in print, most time. I love indesign and illustrator. DEM, where do you work, or what do you do. Ive worked in printing/graphic design all my life as you know. if you wanna see something I did in illustrator, click my sig and do a search for toucan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
o, ps does have very little vector abilities, nothing big really, plus type on a path, which most other apps do already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
EXACTLY. rasterized type really sucks in print, most time. I love indesign and illustrator. DEM, where do you work, or what do you do. Ive worked in printing/graphic design all my life as you know. if you wanna see something I did in illustrator, click my sig and do a search for toucan.

Work @ Alchemy/Locomotion Studios just outside Austin as a graphic designer/web and as of recently heading up our character animation and motion capture studio. The only gripe is that Vicon doesn't support OSX...so I'm stuck on PC for most of the day.

nice toucan...with the slight slant on his eye he almost seems sad ;) ...like your GUI...Shapeshifter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it definitely sounds like we're in agreement and yeah typography teachers always seem to be extreme sticklers ;) And like Macman said, Photoshop only does basic vector work, nothing like Illustrator of Freehand, but with each release it is getting even better. I don't do any of that anymore full time, I keep up with most of it though and like you kind of mentioned.. the way the teachers are.. that stuff just sticks with you! I have my own programming business for web development and actually do a lot of work for companies like yours. I have no idea if you have inhouse workers for web programming, but most do not so they outsource to my business, which allows them offer more in the web development area.

Anyways sounds like we are all in agreement, so I hope that helps you out a bit itloser :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deus_ex_machina said:
Work @ Alchemy/Locomotion Studios just outside Austin as a graphic designer/web and as of recently heading up our character animation and motion capture studio. The only gripe is that Vicon doesn't support OSX...so I'm stuck on PC for most of the day.

nice toucan...with the slight slant on his eye he almost seems sad ;) ...like your GUI...Shapeshifter?
yup, shape shifter, I love that guikit. is your work far from where you live? Id never work for a company that uses pc for graphic design, its ridiculous.
Ive always said, if a company whose industry is based in macs cant get macs, or use them, I wont work there. and trust me, Ive turned down some high paying jobs for this reason. not that I cant use a pc, I just have grown to be disgusted by windows, I even charge extra per hour to work on pc's.;)

OP
E

EvoMac

All I want to do is take some pictures that I have and add some comic book style text to it. I'm VERY new to graphics, but want to play around with it and came up with an idea. From looking at your posts I tried using a circle point and used the text option to wrap with the bubble and then used smaller circles with a solid fill to have the ... effect. Seems to work ok but was really looking for something that could have 1 seemless "chat box" with the line down and bubble all in one. was hoping that one of the more popular programs would have a pre-set layout for something like that... think I might need to find seporate artwork and paste it in. Unless someone can kinda point me in the right direction. Another thought would be to freehand draw it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
yup, shape shifter, I love that guikit. is your work far from where you live? Id never work for a company that uses pc for graphic design, its ridiculous.
Ive always said, if a company whose industry is based in macs cant get macs, or use them, I wont work there. and trust me, Ive turned down some high paying jobs for this reason. not that I cant use a pc, I just have grown to be disgusted by windows, I even charge extra per hour to work on pc's.;)

Sorry I should have been clearer. The mocap software by Vicon is PC only... our Alias software is both and our studio is all mac minus this one. No one here likes PC and groan when having to use one. We only use this one designwise to check web output aside from mocap and animation. BTW: about 40 min drive from NB :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Macman said:

Macman, I went to your post there and toucan was in red but I could not click on it. Wanted to see the pic. Tried 3 browsers and none worked. Am I at the wrong post? Do I have to be logged on to the forums there to view it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If new to graphics, you can freehand what you want and trace a scan of your drawing and place it with your photos, creating your own template.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Macman, I went to your post there and toucan was in red but I could not click on it. Wanted to see the pic. Tried 3 browsers and none worked. Am I at the wrong post? Do I have to be logged on to the forums there to view it?

Theres an images page link @ the bottom of the post for Strut Your Stuff forum. Search there :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.