Can't remove battery on MacBook Black.

Reaction score
Hey.

Today I decided it was time to clean my MacBook Black [refurbished], so I powered it down and went to take out the battery. I used a coin to unlock the battery, which didn't seem to pop up. For the life of me, I can't prise the battery out. I don't want to force the thing out, as it's my only battery and I need the laptop for school work.

So yeah, help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of which may have caused the problem is the fact that the battery was originally very loose, and I asked a guy at my school [who's noramlly very trustworthy and good with Macs] to secure it inside the battery holder and then lock it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hey.

Today I decided it was time to clean my MacBook Black [refurbished], so I powered it down and went to take out the battery. I used a coin to unlock the battery, which didn't seem to pop up. For the life of me, I can't prise the battery out. I don't want to force the thing out, as it's my only battery and I need the laptop for school work.

So yeah, help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of which may have caused the problem is the fact that the battery was originally very loose, and I asked a guy at my school [who's noramlly very trustworthy and good with Macs] to secure it inside the battery holder and then lock it.

And how is it that any of us would know what he did?

I'd suggest calling that guy or attempting to pry it out at your own risk.

(Just curious - I have a question - since "prise" meaning "to pry" is not a word in American english and I've seen this used by numerous folks in forums, in what country is this used?)

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeah, I realise that you wouldn't know what the guy did to the battery, I just wanted to know if there was any way of freeing the battery.

Ah well.

And to answer your question, prise is British English.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, I realise that you wouldn't know what the guy did to the battery, I just wanted to know if there was any way of freeing the battery.
Not without really knowing what he did to "secure it inside the battery holder". Can you ask him what he did?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My guess would be that he used something as a shim inside the compartment to make it fit tight. Hopefully he didn't glue it in.

OP
F
Reaction score
No, he didn't use any substances or anything. It was during a class at school.

All he seemed to do was push the battery inside the casing with considerable force. I'd known previously that the latch on the laptop was slightly shoddy, but not to the extent that it failed to operate.

I'll get him to look at it at school tomorrow. If not, I'll contact Apple. My only concern is I'm not protected by any warranty-- in fact, the notebook was purchased as a refurb done by my cousin.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it was really just jammed in, then, IMHO, the only way to get it out would be to "unjam" it by using force. I would caution you that doing this could easily break something. Trying to force things, especially computer parts, usually doesn't end well. If it comes down to simply forcing the battery out, I would consider the consequences of doing so (ie. broken battery or other part that may be costly to fix).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.