MacBook Pro 2.5 needs a new logic board

Reaction score
Hi,

Posting here for my dad. 23 days past his warranty period his logic board took a dump. He's looking into a repair through apple or possibly buying a new logic board. Is he limited to that same logic board or could he install a newer more powerful one? Here's the specs he gave me for the macbook.

Macbook pro 2.5ghz
Nvidia 8400
early 2008
sn: MB134LL/A

If theres any info that im missing let me know and ill get you the answer asap.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If it is just out of warranty take it in and ask for Apple to sort it. I know of 2 units that had new logic boards replaced by apple and just out of warranty. With the numbers they produce now some are bound to fail, but the consumer should not have to carry the cost of poor PQC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
I am assuming its a early 2008 mbp with a nvidia 8600, they have an extended warranty if its the gpu that went south so you may be able to get it replaced for free if thats whats causing the problem, take it to an apple store see what they say.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. He's been to the mac store, they told him it was the logic board and that there wasnt anything that could be done with the warranty because a couple of small dents on the top cover. So he is looking at having the logic board replace.

How specific are they logic boards. Will a 2009 board work in the early 2008 macbooks?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If I had to pay for a new logic board, I might as well go buy a new MBP. >_<"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the replies. He's been to the mac store, they told him it was the logic board and that there wasnt anything that could be done with the warranty because a couple of small dents on the top cover. So he is looking at having the logic board replace.

How specific are they logic boards. Will a 2009 board work in the early 2008 macbooks?

Tell your Dad to take it back in and ask to speak with the store manager. A few small dents on the top cover should in no way be an excuse for them to refuse to replace the logic board. Tell him to be polite but insist on having it resolved.

A new logic board replacement is an expensive repair. And no, I don't believe that a board from a 2009 model can be used since there have been modifications since the early 2008 machines were sold.

Regards.

Reaction score
?

I can believe this- I just had the NVIDIA card on my Macbook pro die. Took it to the local Apple Store (Crocker Park, Ohio). They VERIFIED the card was dead, and YES- this unit qualified for the FREE repair- but they REFUSED to send it in. The outside of the case has many scratches and 2 small dents (well, it IS two years old). The "genius" (Lance) lectured me on the "external damage" and said Apple will not even consider repairs to laptops with dents.

The card practically burned up from the heat generated- but since I couldn't PROVE the dents weren't responsible it was Apple's policy to refuse to repair laptops with external dents & such.

Word of warning: before you drop $$$ on Applecare-be forwarned! If you schlep your laptop around (like I do) and it LOOKS it- you could be refused repairs due to the condition of the CASE!!!

BTW- found a great site apples-r-us that repairs the logic board for under $200. (The Apple store wanted $1200!!! Who would pay that to repair a 2-yr-old laptop?):(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
am finding out more about apple everyday, its seem like they make these laptop to not last or to aid them with refusing warranty.

like my white MB with almost no vents other than the exhaust, the plastic is going to dry up and crack over time and now with the aluminum that shows dent. they're using dent that have nothing to do with the problem, so sad.

i like my MB but i'll never buy one new, way over priced for the hardware, the software is the only advantage i see over a PC, other than that nothing..

Reaction score
Same problem here. My logic board got damaged. Apple reseller (Stuttgart, Germany) has quote the replacement price as 1600 euros. That is outrageously too high. My 1 year warranty period just got over in Dec. I am thinking of buying a logic board separately. Has anyone got any suggestions??

Reaction score
I have MAcbook 13 early 2009 (2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and I need to buy used logic board - my old one is somehow damaged coze of liquid. Can I upgrade my Macbook ? how do I know that upgrade logic board will be compatible with my Macbook?
Thank you for help.

Marianna

Reaction score
I can believe this- I just had the NVIDIA card on my Macbook pro die. Took it to the local Apple Store (Crocker Park, Ohio). They VERIFIED the card was dead, and YES- this unit qualified for the FREE repair- but they REFUSED to send it in. The outside of the case has many scratches and 2 small dents (well, it IS two years old). The "genius" (Lance) lectured me on the "external damage" and said Apple will not even consider repairs to laptops with dents.

The card practically burned up from the heat generated- but since I couldn't PROVE the dents weren't responsible it was Apple's policy to refuse to repair laptops with external dents & such.

Word of warning: before you drop $$$ on Applecare-be forwarned! If you schlep your laptop around (like I do) and it LOOKS it- you could be refused repairs due to the condition of the CASE!!!

BTW- found a great site apples-r-us that repairs the logic board for under $200. (The Apple store wanted $1200!!! Who would pay that to repair a 2-yr-old laptop?):(

my mother board also went! with only 2 years and 8 months. MacBook purchased in April 20108. It presented the first problem (the internet connnector did not work) with only 1 yr. But the apple store talked me into just purchasing an USB cable!!! I posted a message just day before this message was posted. My message is called:Early death of macbook... Nothing Apple can do for my computer since it is not in the extended warranty.
Now, you mentioned about a site apples-r-us - what is BTW? is there a site that I can connect to? thank you!!

Reaction score
thats the problem with apple... if you so much as sneeze on your $1000+ investment, it voids applecare..... a new logic board can be found on ebay for $500-$900 (keep in mind its ebay) but unless you can handle stripping your macbook pro down to its individual components and then rebuilding it, just buy a new one because everyone's right, its almost as expensive if noe more expensive to pay someone to repair it. i just rebuilt a A1260 and it wasnt too bad but if you need help, ifixit.com is an excellent resource.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I just took mine in for a bad hard drive and it has some dings scratches and dents on it and they are working on it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.