Screen won't come on and computer doesn't boot up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 160Gb HDD, 8600Gt 256mb, OSX 10.5, 8Gb 3G iPhone, 16Gb Touch
Hey there guys, having a bit of a problem.

Last night I decided to do a system update so I downloaded the updates, let the computer restart and went to bed to let the computer do its thing.

When I got to the computer this morning the screen was black, but the fans were still running. I thought it was asleep in some way or another so I pressed some buttons. Nothing happened.

I then decided to turn the computer off with power button, waited a bit, then pressed the on button again.

The CD drive started spinning then I heard the fans just a little bit. The screen however continued to stay black, and the system start up sound did no happen.

I really have no idea what I can/ have to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if any help could be spelled out as noobish as possible as this is the first time I've really had to troubleshoot my mac since I've had it.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, this is an older MBP, not the uni body or any of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
So what were u using to post this - do u have access to another Mac?
Do you have a back up of your files? and do u have the original install disc. As a first step you could try this just in case. Next step could well be dependant on what you have to help troubleshooting per above questions.

OP
st3v3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB ram, 160Gb HDD, 8600Gt 256mb, OSX 10.5, 8Gb 3G iPhone, 16Gb Touch
Thanks for the reply. I have tried that suggestion from the apple website with no success.

I used my old Dell that I retired when I got my MBP. And no I don't have access to any other macs.

To answer your questions I have everything important such as Itunes libraries and most photographs backed up, and I do have all the original installation CDs, unfortunatelly a couple hundred killometres away. Wow, that is really quite annoying. Stupid me thought "I won't need them just for this holiday period". Brilliant.

Also something else that might be of some help is that I have a DVD in the drive. I don't really think that would have anything to do with it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Are you sure you turned it off with the power button, not just put it to sleep? Did you try turning it off, and removing the battery while the machine was unplugged and then putting everything back and starting it up again?

Not even getting the to the Apple logo at boot up is not a good sign...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.